A suggestion about veins tutorials from a beginner

Xiaofeng Liu

Apr 15, 2018, 8:03:41 PM4/15/18
to omn...@googlegroups.com
For VANET simulation beginners like me, even finished the tictoc, hello-sumo and veins tutorial , we still feel a little bit confused about how to start from zero to create a project which can use the sumo model, show the model in the simulation with veins, try to change some behaviour of the nodes etc.

The questions might be:

1. what kind of project should be created? a omnet++ project or a simulation under veins(under which folder)?  Is there any difference to put the new project under omnetpp root or under veins directory?

2. If we just created a project named mytest under veins, now we have two files: mytest.ned and omnetpp.ini, assumed we have all the sumo files and imported them into mytest folder. Then what are the next steps?
    a. modify the mytest.ned: maybe the simplest way is just to extend it from Scenario ?
    b. modify the .ini file according to ned file. Set up parameters of network, car, application etc.
    c. program .cc file corresponded to the .ned file.
        what should we do in the initialize method? Obviously, the veins tutorial didn't tell us these details. I found the following codes in some other project's initialize method:
    void TutorialAppl::initialize(int stage) {
    BaseWaveApplLayer::initialize(stage);
    if (stage == 0) {
        //setup veins pointers
        mobility = TraCIMobilityAccess().get(getParentModule());
        traci = mobility->getCommandInterface();
        traciVehicle = mobility->getVehicleCommandInterface();
        lastSent = simTime();
        traciVehicle->setLaneChangeMode(0);
    }
}

any explanation of these codes??

We can find the RSUExampleScenario.ned, but where is the .cc file?

3. We really need a step by step veins tutorial like tictoc in Omnet. Because Veins project is more complex. For the beginner, it is very difficult to figure out the relationship among the modules.

4 Sometimes a very simple line #include "veins/modules/application/ieee80211p/BaseWaveApplLayer.h" in a .h file can cause building error like: no such file or directory. This kind of error means we don't know how to include, how to import, how to use the existing .h files and modules, what kind of directory relationship between the existing .h files&modules and our own .cc&.h files, should they be in the same folder or sometwhere else??

I am sorry that my questions are maybe too naive for you, but if someone can help I will be very appreciated. Thank you very much!

mortally atomic

Oct 29, 2022, 8:38:04 AM10/29/22
to OMNeT++ Users
did you ever get any update to this? would also like to know