[OMNeT++ 5.0] How to use "make -j" when building through the IDE?

Fabian Eisele

Apr 19, 2017, 12:26:51 PM4/19/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,

when selecting to build a project through the IDE, it seems that make is called without the '-j' option. Where can I change this globally? Because without this option, building really takes a lot of time. I found several places where I seem to be able to change build options, but it would probably be better if I change it where e.g. pressing CTRL+B is getting its arguments from.

A solution to this might seem obvious to some, but I'm used to Visual Studio and am therefore new to an Eclipse environment. Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Michael Kirsche

Apr 20, 2017, 4:54:36 AM4/20/17
to OMNeT++ Users
You have to select the individual (opened) project, left mouse click and then select Properties (or ALT+ENTER).
Then select C/C++ Build -> Behavior -> select "Enable parallel build" there and either use the optimal number of jobs or choose your own number (never choose more jobs than (logical) CPU cores).
This is a per-project setting.

You could add the jobs option to the global configurations of GCC parameters, but a per-project setting is the easier way.

Fabian Eisele

Apr 20, 2017, 12:47:20 PM4/20/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Thanks for the explanation, worked nicely. :)

BTW: Are you left handed and use your mouse with your left hand? Because you wrote left click instead of right click. ;) I have a Xeon CPU, so 4 cores but 8 threads. Works really fast with 8 jobs instead of only the one. :)

Michael Kirsche

Apr 20, 2017, 2:07:38 PM4/20/17
to OMNeT++ Users
Nope, I should have written right click, error of mine :)