SimuLTE - Omnet++ LTE Simulator Announcement

Antonio Virdis

Apr 19, 2013, 10:27:41 AM4/19/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com

SimuLTE™ code is finally available for download!

SimuLTE™ is an innovative simulation tool enabling complex system level performance evaluation of LTE and LTE Advanced networks (3GPP Release 8 and beyond).

It has been a long time, and many of you have expressed interest in trying this new Omnet++ LTE/LTE-A simulator.

Finally the software is ready for you to download.

The repository can be reached here: https://github.com/inet-framework/simulte

How to install: https://github.com/inet-framework/simulte/blob/master/INSTALL.md

License: https://github.com/inet-framework/simulte/blob/master/LICENSE.md

The software is available with an Academic Public License (like OMNeT++). If you wish to use it in a commercial environment for commercial purposes, please contact us at www.ltesimulator.com, or con...@ltesimulator.com. The current license will also allow you to evaluate the software in a commercial setting.

Here are some additional information about SimuLTE™:

Developed by students of the University of Pisa, the LTE library is capable of simulating both LTE and LTE-A networks.

SimuLTE™ is fully customizable with a simple pluggable interface. One can also develop new modules implementing new algorithms and protocols.

SimuLTE™ is developed by researchers for researchers to be time and space efficient, thus saving precious resources while evaluating complex network environments.

In the 2013 Telecoms & Media’s LTE deployment strategies survey conducted by Informa, participants listed "Integration issues with legacy network" as their main issue with LTE deployment. It is especially important to test and evaluate backhaul capacity to handle increased LTE bandwidth with existing technoliogy. SimuLTE™ together with other parts of the OMNEST / OMNeT++ ecosystem will help you accurately simulate these scenarios and mitigate risks involved.

SimuLTE™ also inherits the open architecture and accessability of the underlying simulation kernel, so it is a perfect setting to try out new ideas and develop new technologies for the future.

We hope you will enjoy working with this new tool!

Best regards
The SimuLTE™ Authors

Simpo symo

Aug 22, 2014, 8:40:57 AM8/22/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

I’m very new to Omnet and simulate and I’m hoping you can assist with this problem. I have added the following line to the configuration file

[**.numPcapRecorders = 1

**.InternetHost.pcapRecorder[0].pcapFile = "results/Voip-UL.pcap"]

Hoping to capture the void ul for wireshark analysis however the .pcap file generated  is blank. Where I’m I going wrong? Kindly assist.

Regards,

Simon.

pcap file.jpg

Mohd Khairy

Oct 7, 2014, 12:25:31 AM10/7/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hai Antonio,

Can you give in detail how to install this SimuLTE from the beginning of installing OMNeT++? I quite confuse when to install INET.

Thanks
KHAIRY

Antonio Virdis

Oct 9, 2014, 4:37:54 AM10/9/14
Hello Khairy!
Let's try setting up the whole thing.

First of all, for information about the omnet++ installation, i suggest you to take a look at the guide you can find at this link.

After you have it installed you should download INET from here and the latest version of  simuLTE from here.

Finally you should
- open the omnet IDE
- go to File -> Import -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace
- hit next and select the root directory for inet
- then hit finish
- compile inet with ctrl+B
- repeat the operations above for simuLTE

Everything should be fine then.

For more information about the installation you can look here.
For more information about simuLTE in general, you may want to have a look at the paper
"SimuLTE: A Modular System-level Simulator for LTE/LTE-A Networks based on OMNeT++". You can download it at this link.

Please let me know if you need more information

Best Regards

Antonio Virdis

--
Ing. Antonio Virdis
Phd. Student

Haitham Elbadrashiny

Oct 14, 2014, 9:54:39 AM10/14/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Antonio,

I want to use SimuLTE in my master studies, I need to simulate different eNB MAC schedulers, I just want to know if it support carrier aggregation or not? also I want to understand what you mean by number of bands per eNB is this represent number of carriers?

Best regards,
Haitham Elbadrashiny

Antonio Virdis

Oct 14, 2014, 10:45:13 AM10/14/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Haitham

In simuLTE the term "Band" is used to express the concept of logical bands, i.e. logical groups of Resource Blocks (RB) that are managed together (e.g. by schedulers).
Lets consider for example the following lines taken from an .ini file
**.deployer.numRbDl = 20
**.deployer.numBands = 2

The first line defines the number of available resource blocks in the Dowlink direction. The second one defines the total number of logical bands among which the resource blocks are divided into. In this case we will end up with 2 logical bands with 10 RBs each ( same things happens to the uplink direction ).
You can even use the same value for numRbDl and numBands in order to map each logical band to a single RB.

Carrier Aggregation is not explicitly modeled within SimuLTE, but I think you can obtain something very close to that by using the concept of Logical Bands together with a structure called "BandLimit".
If we consider the previous example, you can see the two logical bands as two separate carriers. When you are performing scheduling you can decide to assign Users to only one of the two logical bands by filling a structure called "band limit" (/src/common/LteCommon.h). This structure is used when allocating resources with the "requestGrant()" function ( /src/stack/mac/scheduler/LteScheduler.h ). An example of usage of the band limits is given in the scheduler "LteMaxCiOptMB". The requestGrant takes as input a vector of BandLimits, with an element for each logical band.

Note that the interference between eNBs is computed on each RB. Thus if two eNBs are using only resources from different logical bands, they will not suffer any interference.

The structure of schedulers are explained more in detail in the paper "SimuLTE: A Modular System-level Simulator for LTE/LTE-A Networks based on OMNeT++". You can download it at this link.

Hope this helps you in your work.

Best Regards

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:54:39 PM UTC+2, Haitham Elbadrashiny wrote:
Hello Antonio,

I want to use SimuLTE in my master studies, I need to simulate different eNB MAC schedulers, I just want to know if it support carrier aggregation or not? also I want to understand what you mean by number of bands per eNB is this represent number of carriers?

Best regards,
Haitham Elbadrashiny

Haitham Elbadrashiny

Oct 14, 2014, 10:58:57 AM10/14/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Antonio for your fast reply.

Haitham

Thuha Pham

Oct 14, 2014, 1:54:45 PM10/14/14
Hi!

I have installed the 4.3 win32 omnet ++ success. When I import inet2.4 on an error and run the "inet!"
I installed exactly as directed.
I look forward to your help Antonio Virdis.Thansk you!

Vào 21:58:57 UTC+7 Thứ ba, ngày 14 tháng mười năm 2014, Haitham Elbadrashiny đã viết:

Antonio Virdis

Oct 15, 2014, 4:00:10 AM10/15/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Thuha Pham

What kind of error do you get?
Are you trying to install SimuLTE or just INET?

regards

On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:54:45 PM UTC+2, Thuha Pham wrote:
Hi!

I have installed the 4.3 win32 omnet ++ success. When I import inet2.4 on an error and run the "inet!"
I installed exactly as directed.
I look forward to your help Antonio Virdis.Thansk you!

Thuha Pham

Oct 15, 2014, 8:38:16 AM10/15/14
Hi Antonio Virdis!
My purpose is to use simulte. I have been import into the simulte. But when I run "demo / simulation / simulte", the following error appears:

[New Thread 5160.0x142c]
<!> Warning: opp_run: Cannot check library ../../src/simulte-master: The specified module could not be found
<!> Error during startup: Cannot load library '../../src//libsimulte-master.dll': The operation completed successfully.
warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

I look forward to your help!
Vào 15:00:10 UTC+7 Thứ tư, ngày 15 tháng mười năm 2014, Antonio Virdis đã viết:

Antonio Virdis

Oct 24, 2014, 7:18:56 AM10/24/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello again.
I see you changed the name of the simuLTE folder into simulte-master. Please, try switching it back to simulte and run it again

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:38:16 PM UTC+2, Thuha Pham wrote:
[...]

Mohd Khairy

Oct 30, 2014, 2:55:12 AM10/30/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hai Antonio,

Seem like I have already install OMNET++. But as you said building  all, its look like taking so long of time. Does my procedure are correct?

Khairy

On Thursday, 9 October 2014 16:37:54 UTC+8, Antonio Virdis wrote:
[...]

Antonio Virdis

Oct 30, 2014, 10:05:58 AM10/30/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mohd Khairy
The process of building INET and simuLTE may take several minutes.

Just for clarity, the common procedure is:
1) Import the INET project into your workspace ( with  File -> Import )
2) Import the simuLTE project into your workspace ( with  File -> Import  )
3) build INET ( in the "project explorer" right click on the INET and then "Build project" )
4) build simuLTE ( same as above )

please let me know if this solves the problem

best regards

Antonio Virdis

Tao Li

Nov 11, 2014, 1:03:22 PM11/11/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear SimuLTE developers,

Thanks a lot for your effort to provide this simulation framework. I have two questions regarding the further development of this framework. The first one is that if there is any plan to also implement the control plane of LTE networks to enable such as cell selection. The second question is that if there is any plan to integrate also the energy model for LTE communication so that we could compare different energy consumptions.

I would appreciate if I could hear your answers!

Best,
Tao

Antonio Virdis

Nov 20, 2014, 11:41:51 AM11/20/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mr. Tao

- We are currently not planning to implement the control plane.

- I think you may implement a simple consumption model quite easily. These models generally consider the consumed power as a function of both the tx-power and the number of allocated RBs per TTI.
    1) The tx-power is specified as a NED parameter, thus you can easily obtain it
    2) The number of allocated RBs for each logical band can be found using the LteMacEnb::getBandStatus function.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you need more info.

best regards

Antonio Virdis

Hadi

Jan 19, 2015, 5:12:17 AM1/19/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello dear Antonio,

I want to know if it is possible to add battery module to simulte. because what i wanted to do is to simulate an environment (lets say 4G) and measure the energy consumption of wireless device and try to reduce the consumed energy.

Could you please tell me from which example I should start, because i am new to omnet and simulte.
And if it is possible after that i want to expand scenario in a heterogeneous environment when we have 3G, 4G, WiMAX, WLAN etc and to compute the enrgy consumption of devices in the network. is it possible to work simulte and inet and mixim together.

I would really appreciate if you helo me in this regard.

Thank you so much sir.

Antonio Virdis

Jan 20, 2015, 8:51:46 AM1/20/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello Hadi

As you probably know, you can start by reading the paper "SimuLTE: A Modular System-level Simulator for LTE/LTE-A Networks based on OMNeT++" (link).
You can then take a look at the examples in the simulations folder, starting with the ones in the demo folder. More complex examples are available in the folder called advanced

Talking about battery modules, you can add (quite easily) to the UE module, defined in
src/corenetwork/nodes/Ue.ned. Information about the resources used by the UE itself can be retrieved from the phy and mac layers (see LteMacUe.cc and LtePhyUe.cc files).

Please let me know if you find this information useful.

Best Regards

Ing. Antonio Virdis
Phd. Candidate
Dipartimento di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
Università di Pisa
Via Diotisalvi 2, 56122 Pisa - Italy
Phone: (+39) 050-2217.573

Hadi

Jan 20, 2015, 9:03:30 AM1/20/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much dear Antonio,
I will follow your suggestions, and get back to you if I face problem.

Thanks again.
Message has been deleted

sujan chowdhury

Jul 5, 2015, 2:10:52 PM7/5/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
hi antonio,
i installed omnet++ and also download INET and simulte. please suggest me ,how can install INET and simuLTE in omnet++. and i want to know how simulte working in omnet++.please suggest me as soon as possible.
Thanks

Saikat Shen

Jul 5, 2015, 2:18:44 PM7/5/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi antonio
I installed omnet++.I want to design lte network model for my bsc thesis work.so please suggest me how can i design lte network model in omnet++.please suggest me.
Thanks

sujan chowdhury

Jul 6, 2015, 8:34:12 AM7/6/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
hi antonio
I already installed omnet++.i also download inet and simulte.when i tried to install inet then, there i faced some problem.first i followed  File -> Import -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace
- hit next.but when i selected the root directory for inet there shows no inet file.But i aleady download inet.so how can i will  complete inet and simulte installation.please suggest me.
Thanks.