OMNeT++ won't start after fresg installation / compilation

Konstantin Boyanov

Oct 12, 2010, 5:49:47 AM10/12/10
to omnetpp
Hello list,

I have a very peculiar problem - I downloaded and compiled (no errors)
a fresh copy of omnet++ 4.1 on my workstation, and when I try to start
the IDE from the command line I get this output (no error messages, no
nothing):

# omnetpp
Starting the OMNeT++ IDE...

Needles to say the IDe does not start, even the splash screen does not
appear. As I have not configured any workspace for the IDE yet, I am
buffled as to where to look for log information and more detailed
error description. Is there any such plaace under the default
omnetpp-4.1 folder?

Any help and suggestions to how to look for more info on this problem
will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Konstantin Boyanov

Konstantin Boyanov

Oct 13, 2010, 3:04:19 AM10/13/10
to omnetpp
Hello again,

I have gone through the start script in /omnetpp-4.1/bin/omnetpp and
found out that it actually starts the executable 'omnetpp' in
omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64. When I try to run this from command line
standalone I get this error:

/home/boyanov/omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64 # ./omnetpp
plugins/
org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0.200.v20090519:

I suppose something with the installation of Eclipse went worng, but I
still do not see any errors during compilation of OMNeT++. How can I
fix this? How can I find out wheather my problem is not somehow system
specific? How can I get more debugging information from the
installation process of OMNeT++?

Best regards,
Konstantin

Konstantin Boyanov

Oct 13, 2010, 3:23:15 AM10/13/10
to omnetpp
Some additional information on the workstation environment:

# uname -a
Linux somehost.XXX.YY 2.6.18-194.11.3.xcve20103081.el5 #1 SMP Sat Sep
18 11:16:45 CEST 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# sys
amd64_rhel50

Regards,
Konstantin

Konstantin Boyanov

Oct 13, 2010, 3:35:19 AM10/13/10
to omnetpp
Hi again and sorry for the spam, but this is really botehring me!

> I have gone through the start script in /omnetpp-4.1/bin/omnetpp and
> found out that it actually starts the executable 'omnetpp' in
> omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64. When I try to run this from command line
> standalone I get this error:
>
> /home/boyanov/omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64 # ./omnetpp
> plugins/
> org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0.200.v20090519:

I took a look in the ide/plugins fodler, and the
'org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0.200.v20090519' file
exists! What is wrong with the 'omnetpp' launcher so it cannot find
the file? Or am I doing womething completely stupid?

Thanks for the patience!
Konstantin

Filip Filipov

Oct 13, 2010, 8:50:56 AM10/13/10
to omn...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:04, Konstantin Boyanov <kkbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello again,

I have gone through the start script in /omnetpp-4.1/bin/omnetpp and
found out that it actually starts the executable 'omnetpp' in
omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64. When I try to run this from command line
standalone I get this error:

/home/boyanov/omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64 # ./omnetpp
plugins/
org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0.200.v20090519:

you should start /home/boyanov/omnetpp-4.1/ide/omnetpp and not the one from ./linux64.When I start the one from ./linux64 i get the same error. :)
This is a basic question, but are you sure you followed the installation guide exactly?

Filip
--
=====================================
This mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons

Konstantin Boyanov

Oct 13, 2010, 10:27:43 AM10/13/10
to omnetpp
Hi and thanks for the reply!

Well, the installation guide for Linux is pretty straightforward (:

# ./configure
# make

and also sourcing setenv and creating the environment variable for the
TCL libraries. And I can start the simulations in the 'sample'
subdirectory, so I think I got everything right.

When I try start it with:

/home/boyanov/omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64 # ./omnetpp

It still does not work. I have tried to decipher the output of strace,
and the only thing I can understand / see in it is the name of this
org.eclipse.equinox.... file and exit status 13 (No such file or
directory). So it still remains a mistery to me why the IDE does not
start. Any other ideas?

The thing that enrages me the most is that it can start at my old home
machine running OpenSUSE but not on my workstation in my office, which
is running Scientific Linux 5.5. Could that cause problems?

Cheers,
Konstantin

Rudolf Hornig

Oct 13, 2010, 11:12:24 AM10/13/10
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Be sure to start the program from the

omnetpp/ide directory and NOT from omnetpp/ide/linux64 !!!

the ide/linux64, ide/linux, ide/win32 and ide/macosx directories are just skeleton directories that must be copied to the omnetpp/ide directory to run correctly. (The copy is done when you first run the configure script). i.e. if you have a 64 bit linux install everything from the ide/linux64 will be copied one level upper.

start omnetpp from:

cd omnetpp-4.1/ide
./omnetpp

or rather using the starter script from omnetpp/bin
(BTW the script starts the executable 'omnetpp-4.1/ide/omnetpp' and NOT 'omnetpp-4.1/ide/linux64omnetpp' as you suggested!)

You can find low level logs in the ide/configuration directory (those crashes where the ide was not able to configure a workspace)

And last: be sure NOT to run omnet as root !!!

Rudolf

Konstantin Boyanov

Oct 14, 2010, 5:30:54 AM10/14/10
to omnetpp
Hello,

Thanks for the advices! I have rebuild the whole OMNeT++ with my
account, and executed:

/usr1/scratch/omnetpp-4.1 # ./ide/omnetpp

Again, the IDE did not start, but a log file was created in the ./ide/
consiguration subfolder. This log file is in the attachment, but one
things is obvious in it:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2010-10-14 11:17:59.630
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 64-bit SWT libraries on 32-
bit JVM

and

Root exception:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: The platform metadata area could not
be written: /usr1/scratch/samples/.metadata. By default the platform
writes its content under the current working directory when the
platform is launched. Use the -data parameter to specify a different
content area for the platform.

Both are not clear to me. The Java installed on the machine is:

/usr1/scratch/omnetpp-4.1 # java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

and I can by no means imagine why the IDE will want to write to /usr1/
scratch/samples, rather thatn to /usr`/scratch/omnetpp-4.1/samples?

Should I reinstall the Java VM, or install / update to another
version?
Should I specify some additional parameters to the ./configure script
so such error messages (like the one above) do not occur?
And last - why should I not run omnetpp as root?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Konstantin

Rudolf Hornig

Oct 14, 2010, 5:54:25 AM10/14/10
to omn...@googlegroups.com
The issue is clear:  "Cannot load 64-bit SWT libraries on 32-bit JVM"

You have a 32bit JVM installed onyour machine, while your operating system is detected as 64bit by Eclipse.

Please install a 64bit JVM and retry.

Rudolf

Konstantin

Konstantin Boyanov

Oct 14, 2010, 8:36:45 AM10/14/10
to omnetpp
Thanks a lot for the help and suggestions!

I installed a newer JVM and everything works fine now!

Cheers,
Konstantin

Zeeshan Abbas

Oct 4, 2014, 11:12:58 AM10/4/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
I am having error while running omnet like this:
"Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: You have loaded library /home/user1/omnetpp-4.1/ide/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.0.200.v20090519/eclipse_1206.so which might have disabled stack guard. The VM will try to fix the stack guard now.
It's highly recommended that you fix the library with 'execstack -c <libfile>', or link it with '-z noexecstack'."

Plz can anyone give me the solution??

Muhammad Haroen

Jan 16, 2017, 8:31:36 PM1/16/17
to OMNeT++ Users
is it work with same problem on windows? i installed on windows 10, but my ide not showing up

nilanshi.c...@gmail.com

May 27, 2018, 2:41:39 AM5/27/18
to OMNeT++ Users
hello everyone

I have freshly installed omnet++ 4.6 in ubuntu 18.04. Everything went fine and no errors were reported during the installation. All the simulations in the samples folder are also running. But when I tried to open the IDE, it gave me an error " an error has occurred. see the log file/home/nilanshi/omnetpp-4.6/samples/.metadata/.log".
The thing is I can't find these folders. How do I resolve this error.
I have tried opening the IDE from the terminal as well as from the ide folder also.

When I gave the command ./omnetpp instead of just omnetpp I got following warning
penJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
Gtk-Message: 11:55:14.851: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller (file:/home/nilanshi/omnetpp-4.6/ide/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.10.0.v20140606-1445.jar) to method java.net.URLClassLoader.addURL(java.net.URL)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.eclipse.osgi.storage.FrameworkExtensionInstaller
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
Gtk-Message: 11:55:29.652: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

 and the IDE still didnt open. It again showed the same error as mentioned above.

Kindly help.

Nilanshi

vinicius...@id.uff.br

Sep 19, 2018, 11:20:10 AM9/19/18
to OMNeT++ Users
I have the same problem here, could you find a solution?
Could you post it please?

ConstantineIO

Sep 19, 2018, 11:26:33 AM9/19/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Post the .log file. You can't find the files from file manager except if there's a  hidden folder option. Otherwise you need to navigate using "$ ls -a"  to show hidden files, then something like "$ mousepad/gedit/whatever .log"

If you already did this and the file doesn't exist then idk..

vinicius...@id.uff.br

Sep 19, 2018, 11:34:50 AM9/19/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Here is the .log file. It looks like there's a problem at cdt.codan
.log

vinicius...@id.uff.br

Sep 20, 2018, 2:00:53 PM9/20/18
to OMNeT++ Users
I have tried installing it on Ubuntu 16.04 instead of 18.04 and I've had success.

Luca De Nardis

Nov 6, 2018, 7:49:56 AM11/6/18
to OMNeT++ Users
You need to install an older version of the java development kit. 18.04 ships with openjdk 11, you will need openjdk 8.
Install it with

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk

and then select it as explained here:

After that omnet++ should start correctly.

Luca

Eduardo Cooper

May 12, 2019, 12:35:31 AM5/12/19
to OMNeT++ Users
if you get an error after trying Luca's fix, don't panic, it is explained here:https://serverfault.com/questions/814064/set-jdk-8-as-the-default-java-on-debian-8       that the warning is not a big deal.

sandip kumar

Jun 21, 2019, 4:01:15 AM6/21/19
to OMNeT++ Users
Choose an appropriate version of Java using the command "alternatives --config java" and proceed...