Transmission Range in Mixim (veins)

Aziza Ben Mosbah

Feb 27, 2013, 9:37:40 AM2/27/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody :)

I need your help concerning the veins' example in mixim library.
In fact, I want to calculate the transmission range but I didn't know which formula to use.
I want also to modify its value, but I didn't find which parameters are responsible for that.
I have checked the other questions posted in the mailing list, but I got confused.
Can you help me with this please?
Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Aziza.

Christoph Sommer

Feb 27, 2013, 9:51:10 AM2/27/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aziza,

Aziza Ben Mosbah wrote:
> I need your help concerning the veins' example in mixim library.
> In fact, I want to calculate the transmission range

In Veins, whether a wireless transmission succeeds or fails is only
loosely related to the distance between sender and receiver.

When no other vehicle is transmitting packets (and assuming you are
using the default "two ray interference" model) in fact, packets will
very likely be received close by the sender, at mid range it is very
unlikely, then (far away) it becomes more likely again, before finally
(very far away) becoming very unlikely.

When other vehicles send packets, things get much more complicated, etc.

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Dr.-Ing. Christoph Sommer
Institute of Computer Science

Aziza Ben Mosbah

Feb 27, 2013, 10:00:38 AM2/27/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com, christop...@uibk.ac.at

Thank you for your quick answer.

In Veins, whether a wireless transmission succeeds or fails is only
loosely related to the distance between sender and receiver.

That's the point. I want to calculate that maximum distance between two vehicles (one receive the packet from another).

When no other vehicle is transmitting packets (and assuming you are
using the default "two ray interference" model) in fact, packets will
very likely be received close by the sender, at mid range it is very
unlikely, then (far away) it becomes more likely again, before finally
(very far away) becoming very unlikely.

Please can you explain more about the "two ray interference" model?

Best regards,
Aziza.

Christoph Sommer

Feb 27, 2013, 11:21:25 AM2/27/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aziza,

Aziza Ben Mosbah wrote:
> I want to calculate that maximum distance between
> two vehicles (one receive the packet from another).

The maximum distance would be the point where the probability of
reception is "almost zero", given no noise and no interference (i.e.,
only thermal noise).

You can calculate this point based on the transmission power at the
antenna and the thermal noise level (both set in omnetpp.ini), the used
propagation model (set in config.xml, e.g., TwoRayInterferenceModel.cc),
and the used bit error model (depending on the decider, e.g.,
Decider80211p.cc).

> Please can you explain more about the "two ray interference" model?

You can find the publications linked from

http://veins.car2x.org/documentation/modules/tworay/

Aziza Ben Mosbah

Feb 27, 2013, 12:07:43 PM2/27/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com, christop...@uibk.ac.at
Alright. But can you provide me a formula you use to calculate this distance?
Also, which parameter in ( .ini file ) should I modify to change that maximum distance? the *.connectionManager.pMax? the *.**.nic.mac1609_4.txPower? or the *.**.nic.phy80211p.maxTXPower?
Here you find a part from my omnetpp.ini file:

*.connectionManager.pMax = 0.1mW
*.connectionManager.sat = -89dBm
*.connectionManager.alpha = 2
*.connectionManager.carrierFrequency = 5.890e9 Hz
*.connectionManager.sendDirect = true

*.**.nic.mac1609_4.serviceChannel = 2

*.**.nic.mac1609_4.txPower = 20mW
*.**.nic.mac1609_4.bitrate = 18Mbps

*.**.nic.phy80211p.sensitivity = -89dBm
*.**.nic.phy80211p.maxTXPower = 10mW
*.**.nic.phy80211p.useThermalNoise = true
*.**.nic.phy80211p.thermalNoise = -110dBm
*.**.nic.phy80211p.decider = xmldoc("config.xml")
*.**.nic.phy80211p.analogueModels = xmldoc("config.xml")
*.**.nic.phy80211p.usePropagationDelay = true

You can calculate this point based on the transmission power at the
antenna and the thermal noise level (both set in omnetpp.ini), the used
propagation model (set in config.xml, e.g., TwoRayInterferenceModel.cc),
and the used bit error model (depending on the decider, e.g.,
Decider80211p.cc).

I will be waiting for your reply.

Best regards,
Aziza.

Ali Balador

Feb 27, 2013, 12:43:24 PM2/27/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com, christop...@uibk.ac.at
Dear Aziza,

For that purpose as I found you can do as follows:

Calculate the Atenuation with this formula.

Atenuation(dB) = 20 log( d ) + 20 log ( f ) + 32.45

and because each packet is received if satisfy this formula

(Transmission power in dBm)  - (Attenuation in dB) > (sensibility in
dBm)

distance limit can be calculated from the above formula when the received power is the same that the sensibility.

 Also, you can follow this post: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/omnetpp/m9rFqQ92-OA

Good Luck my friend.

Christoph Sommer

Feb 28, 2013, 3:36:34 AM2/28/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Aziza Ben Mosbah wrote:
> can you provide me a formula you use to calculate this distance?
> I will be waiting for your reply.

I already referred you to the publications where you will find the
attenuation formula.

I already pointed you to where the formula is defined in the code.

I already showed you which variables are defined where.

From there, you should be able to substitute the variables and solve the
formula for d.

Best,

Rehman, Sabih-Ur

Feb 28, 2013, 7:28:18 PM2/28/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dr Christopher for your response and thanks Aziza for asking the question that was relative to my post earlier for transmission range, even though it was for inet not mixim but it does make sense now. Yes, look at the code for TwoRayInterfaceModel.h and TwoRayInterfaceModel.cc plus the decider as well.

Charles Sturt University

| ALBURY-WODONGA | BATHURST | CANBERRA | DUBBO | GOULBURN | MELBOURNE | ONTARIO | ORANGE | PORT MACQUARIE | SYDNEY | WAGGA WAGGA |

LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University (CSU) does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with CSU may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at CSU. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of CSU.

Charles Sturt University in Australia http://www.csu.edu.au The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Numbers: 00005F (NSW), 01947G (VIC), 02960B (ACT)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018

Charles Sturt University in Ontario http://www.charlessturt.ca 860 Harrington Court, Burlington Ontario Canada L7N 3N4 Registration: www.peqab.ca

Consider the environment before printing this email.

Disclaimer added by CodeTwo Exchange Rules 2007
http://www.codetwo.com

TwoIntModel.png

SA

Aug 8, 2013, 8:48:37 AM8/8/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com, christop...@uibk.ac.at
Are you sure?
according to the default values of veins parameters:
*.connectionManager.carrierFrequency = 5.890e9 Hz

Atenuation(dB) = 20 log( d ) + 20 log ( f ) + 32.45= 20 log(d) + 195.40 +32.45= 20 log(d) + 227.85

*.connectionManager.pMax = 20mW  --->convert to dB ---> 13.01 dB

(Transmission power in dBm)  - (Attenuation in dB) > (sensibility in dBm)
13.01    -     (20 log(d) + 227.85)    >   (-89)
--->
20 log(d) < -125.84
log(d)<-6.29 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sea aj

Aug 11, 2013, 1:52:17 PM8/11/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Christoph,

I have explained the problem but you didn't answer.

Christoph Sommer

Aug 11, 2013, 6:55:34 PM8/11/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sea aj,

Sea aj wrote:
> SA wrote:
>> Ali Balador wrote:

>>> Calculate the Atenuation with this formula.
>>
>> Are you sure?
>
> Dear Christoph,
>
> I have explained the problem but you didn't answer.

You did not ask me :)

The formula you are referring to was posted by somebody else.

Also, to repeat, I am warning against calculating a "transmission range"
for wireless communications. How far you can send in theory has
absolutely no relation to how far you can send on a moderately busy
channel. This effect *is* modeled in Veins!

If you want to know more, you can do a small simulation study to
investigate packet reception rate vs. distance vs. channel load. The
results should tell you all you need to know.

Best,

Christoph

--
Dr.-Ing. Christoph Sommer
Institute of Computer Science
University of Innsbruck, Austria
Phone: +43 512 507-96835 / Fax: -9888
http://ccs.uibk.ac.at/~sommer/

Sea aj

Aug 12, 2013, 6:29:48 AM8/12/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You are right. I'm sorry, I mistake you for Mr. Balador

webwahab

Aug 25, 2013, 8:05:19 AM8/25/13
to omn...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

May be this will be useful for someone ,

I do a simple simulation ( veins example parameters  are used ) , I found that transmission range is about 500 m , exactly 509 m.

You can contact me : webw...@gmail.com , I you want more details .

Best Regards
W@hab..

Muhammed Nur Avcil

May 29, 2014, 4:47:18 AM5/29/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear W@hab,

I want to change this range to 250m. How can i do in veins example.

Thanks

Christoph Sommer

May 29, 2014, 12:47:30 PM5/29/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Muhammed Nur Avcil wrote:
> I want to change this range to 250m. How can i do in veins example.

You cannot configure a simple "transmission range" in Veins.

Whether a packet can be received successfully depends on the Signal to
Interference and Noise Ratio (SINR), not just the distance.

Thus, the packet reception probability is not just dependent on how
strong the signal is (so it decreases with distance and the amount of
radio obstructions like buildings). It is also dependent on how much
interference you have (so it also decreases with the number of
concurrent transmissions).

You can increase the transmit power to be able to send packets larger
distances ("increasing the transmission range"), but this will also
increase the amount of interference that vehicles are causing.

Best,

Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Sommer
Distributed Embedded Systems Group

Arslane Hamza Cherif

Jul 29, 2015, 6:48:46 PM7/29/15
to OMNeT++ Users, som...@ccs-labs.org
Hello,

Sorry to talk again about this question that has already answered.

Dr.Spmmer, i understand very well that the transmission range can vary highly with all parameters, but i have two questions:

1) are the maximum interference distance and the theorical maximum transmission range the same ?
2) what is the exact role of the thermal noise ? is it affecting the theorical maximum transmission range ?

If, i am asking this question, i am reviewing an older work done by another person.

This person concludes that the max transmission range is :

127m with Txpower = -80dbm and sensitivity = 10mW
300m with Txpower = -80dbm and sensitivity = 15.5mW
1000m with Txpower = -94dbm and sensitivity = 20mW

with an path loss coefficien (alpha) = 2

but all my calculations says that is respectively : 127m, 159m and 907m (can someone confirm to me my calculations, i am using the free space path loss calculation)

Thanks for your answers and excuse me for my silly questions.

Best regards,
Arslan

ben hassine Afef

Jul 27, 2016, 2:57:36 PM7/27/16