Omnetpp-4.4.1 Installation Problem on OSX Maveriks

Stefano Anzilotti

Jul 8, 2014, 8:39:56 AM7/8/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
I would firstly like to apologize for my English.
I need to install 'OMNeT + +' and then 'Vains' to use them for my thesis.
An operating system OS X Mavericks. I followed this guide to install.
When I get to run 'omnetpp' I get the following error message:

The configuration area at '/var/root/.eclipse/109353541_macosx_cocoa_x86/configuration' could not be created.
Please choose a writable location using the '-configuration' command line option.

Here is my screenshot. Can someone help me?

Rudolf Hornig

Jul 9, 2014, 8:31:25 AM7/9/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
You should never ever install OMNeT++ as root. OMNeT++ is designed to be installed in the user's home directory so it does not require root access. Your error is because of permission issues.

Rudolf

Stefano Anzilotti

Jul 9, 2014, 8:53:06 AM7/9/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply Rudolf.
Could you give me some other explanation?
Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but the omnetpp-4.4.1 folder is located in my home directory (I am attaching a picture.)
Besides, I have not done anything intentionally to install OMNeT + + as root, how do I install it in another way?
Schermata 2014-07-09 alle 14.52.20.png

Rudolf Hornig

Jul 9, 2014, 9:45:59 AM7/9/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
I was just assuming you were root because on the screenshot I saw that the command prompt looked like:

sh-3.2#

the # at the end usually signals that you are running in root mode. Normal user prompts usually end with $.
You can test this by executing the 'whoami' command on the terminal.

When you open the terminal program you should see something like:

sh-3.2$

you probably executed a 'su' or 'sudo' command in the terminal, or you have explicitly requested an 'administrator' mode terminal when you opened it from the GUI.

Rudolf

Stefano Anzilotti

Jul 9, 2014, 9:57:07 AM7/9/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Ok, good clarification. As soon as I try to run a few minutes driving again as a normal user.

Thank you again!

Stefano Anzilotti

Jul 9, 2014, 11:24:53 AM7/9/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Perfect.
I just finished the installation and the previous problem did not occur. Thank you

Stefano Anzilotti

Jul 14, 2014, 1:05:15 PM7/14/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Following the advice of the last time, I was able to eliminate the error that did not allow a good start of the program.

Now, however, at startup, I get this message.

File does not exist, ignoring: /User/name surname/.eclipse_keyring

Can you recommend something?
Schermata 2014-07-14 alle 18.56.47.png

Rudolf Hornig

Jul 15, 2014, 6:07:08 AM7/15/14
to omn...@googlegroups.com
delete the .eclipse_keyring file from your home directory. Most likely it was created with root owner when you first tried to run the IDE as root and now it cannot access that file (just a guess)

Seer Liu

Mar 30, 2015, 10:31:50 PM3/30/15
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefano,

      I have encountered the same problem as you.
      However, if I start it from terminal, it is ok.
      I am asking to figure out in case you have got a solution. Thank you so much.

Seer

在 2014年7月15日星期二 UTC+8上午1:05:15,Stefano Anzilotti写道:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Amr Abughazala

Sep 9, 2016, 8:21:32 AM9/9/16
to OMNeT++ Users
At this step was my mistake

To set the environment variables permanently, edit .bashrc in your home directory.

Use your favourite text editor to edit .bashrc, for example gedit:

$ gedit ~/.bashrc

Add the following line at the end of the file, then save it:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/omnetpp-5.0/bin

You need to close and re-open the terminal for the changes to take effect.

try using nano instead of gedit
#nano .bashrc

and notice the difference in the line
export PATH=$PATH:home/amr/omnetpp-5.0/bin

only 1 $ sign and also choose the correct root to /bin

I hope this will help