Interested in (revival of) this group

Benjamin Brinkman

Jun 4, 2016, 5:24:43 PM6/4/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here. I may have replied to something once but I don't remember for a fact. Would it be accurate to say that this group hasn't been particularly active?

Here's the deal, I'm currently living in Lincoln but I'm moving back to Omaha pretty soon. Upon moving back, I am setting a goal for myself to get out and do more things that interest me in a more, social manner, per se. I'm a solid developer (around five years of professional experience) but I started learning long before then.

I would like to get a group of people together to collaborate on open source. Preferably this would be on some of the same projects, but it could also just be working on different things together in the same room.

Does anyone have interest in this sort of thing? Also let me know if such a local group already exists.

Much appreciated,

Ben

Rob Townley

Jun 4, 2016, 10:36:58 PM6/4/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com

Yes

--
OMG!Code http://code.omahamakergroup.org
---

George Turner

Jun 13, 2016, 4:00:46 PM6/13/16
to OMG!Code
I am also interested in getting connected socially with some developers in Omaha. I do not work with computers currently. I have some school training on programming in HTML, C++ and Visual Basics, but that has been years ago. I am interested in obtaining industry level knowledge and eventually pursuing a career in IT.

Please let me know if this group plans on gathering or if you find anything similar.

Ryan Stille

Jun 13, 2016, 4:07:13 PM6/13/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
"I am also interested in getting connected socially with some developers in Omaha."

Hi George. Check out TechOmaha.com and @TechOmaha on twitter. We throw developer parties at least twice a year, and there are smaller get togethers as well. These are good chances to meet & hang out with others in the development community. There's also a list of Omaha Meetups on TechOmaha, that is another good way to learn and meet people.

-Ryan

Matt Payne

Jun 13, 2016, 4:14:33 PM6/13/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Ben -- Welcome to Omaha!  I agree with Ryan.   And I add that http://sideprojectsclub.com/ is similar to what you are describing.

What technology stack do you want to work in?

Benjamin Brinkman

Jun 13, 2016, 5:58:04 PM6/13/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I took a look at TechOmaha.com.  It's great to see most (if not all?) tech groups in the area curated in one place.

I want to emphasize that what I'm looking for is something where people get together to work on FLOSS projects in particular.  I noticed that there's a Ruby and Open Source group.  I also noticed that it's the only group that says anything about open source.  I'm interesting in doing something agnostic of the technology stack.  It just depends on the existing stack used in a project that people are interested in working on.  Even if someone starts their own project, I would hope they would use what they believe is the right tool for the job.

I might take a crack at starting my own group for this purpose, if I can generate interest.  I have taken the liberty of registering #OmahaNebraskaFLOSS on the freenode IRC network, if anyone wants to discuss this in great depth.  I think I may attend the side projects club in the meantime.  It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but it's a good start.

Thank you for the welcome.  I actually lived in Omaha before, just moving back.

Ben

Loyall, David

Jul 12, 2016, 3:01:28 PM7/12/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com

I have been idling in #OmahaNebraskaFLOSS (and #nebraska) for almost a month and nobody has dropped by.  Try again!

Cheers,

--Sebboh

David Knaack

Jul 12, 2016, 3:17:55 PM7/12/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Y'all might want to try the Midwest Dev Chat slack.
I don't see any channels specifically about general FLOSS projects, but you might run into someone who knows of one, or have some success promoting your own.

Rob Townley

Jul 13, 2016, 7:19:24 PM7/13/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
The main reason i stay away from the news more and more because it so often tries to fan-the-flames and create controversy without much fact.  Was glad to see that some newspapers were requiring new journalists to have a background in programming so they could analyze piles of data easier.

Would be interesting to make it easier to "look" at fbi crime data in many different ways.  The reporting requirements probably change each year, so maybe that is why it only seems to be provided for a single year at-a-time.  Regardless, would like to have summaries over more than a year.

Make a webpage to let others come to their own conclusions.  Probably someone else and companies have already done so, but have not looked.  Might get committers from all over the world.

There are many many tables, but a couple relevant ones for todays news:

LEOKA = Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted

Betty Love

Jul 15, 2016, 4:53:31 PM7/15/16
to OMG!Code, Rob.T...@gmail.com
Hi Rob - do you have a reference for your comment about newspapers requiring new journalists to have a programming background?  I'd love to use that in some of my writing.  Thanks!

Matt Payne

Jul 15, 2016, 11:11:47 PM7/15/16
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Betty -- Pam Selle[3]'s remarks[1] about some of her work at Axis Philly are related, but not the high impact citation you're looking for. --Matt Payne