Next OMG!Code: R Lightning Talks

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

Apr 27, 2015, 3:18:25 PM4/27/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Is the proper collective name for a collection of lightning talks a "thunderstorm"? I have no idea, but whatever you call it I'm coming prepared with several talks about R and various R frameworks for the next OMG!Code.
If you're at all interested in data science, learning about quirky functional languages, or watching someone with a crippling addiction to Internet give several short talks, you should come on down.

James Harr

Apr 27, 2015, 4:42:46 PM4/27/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
This is on May 19th, right?

--
OMG!Code http://code.omahamakergroup.org
---

^[:wq^M

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

Apr 28, 2015, 9:53:56 AM4/28/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
That's what I have on my calendar, yes.

Matt Payne

Apr 28, 2015, 5:45:22 PM4/28/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
The conflict with OJUG.org makes me sad.   :-(

Jay Hannah

May 19, 2015, 1:54:55 PM5/19/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com, Perl Mongers of Omaha, Nebraska USA
On Apr 27, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Chamelaeon Wombatowski <chame...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the proper collective name for a collection of lightning talks a "thunderstorm"? I have no idea, but whatever you call it I'm coming prepared with several talks about R and various R frameworks for the next OMG!Code.
> If you're at all interested in data science, learning about quirky functional languages, or watching someone with a crippling addiction to Internet give several short talks, you should come on down.

Tonight! :)

I assume a keyholder will be there to open the door?

Thanks,

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

May 19, 2015, 1:58:14 PM5/19/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com, Perl Mongers of Omaha, Nebraska USA

I have a key, and I'll be there around 6:30 or so to set up.

Samuel W. Flint

May 19, 2015, 4:52:24 PM5/19/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Jay Hannah <j...@jays.net> writes:

> On Apr 27, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Chamelaeon Wombatowski <chame...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is the proper collective name for a collection of lightning talks a
>> "thunderstorm"? I have no idea, but whatever you call it I'm coming
>> prepared with several talks about R and various R frameworks for the
>> next OMG!Code.
>> If you're at all interested in data science, learning about quirky
>> functional languages, or watching someone with a crippling addiction
>> to Internet give several short talks, you should come on down.

If there's time, would anyone be interested in hearing about Common
Lisp, Emacs, or ways to abuse a programming language?

Sam

> Tonight! :)
>
> I assume a keyholder will be there to open the door?
>
> Thanks,

Samuel W. Flint
swf...@flintfam.org (402) 517-8468 <XMPP>
freenode: swflint
http://flintfam.org/~swflint
4096R/266596F4
(9477 D23E 389E 40C5 2F10 DE19 68E5 318E 2665 96F4)
(λs.(s s) λs.(s s))

James Harr

May 22, 2015, 9:06:15 PM5/22/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Art -- you mentioned that some of your R/Rmd was in github. Can you post a link?

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

May 26, 2015, 9:53:09 AM5/26/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
I actually shouldn't post my own personal repos on account of Coursera Honor Code and all, but the repo for all classes in the specialization is available at https://github.com/DataScienceSpecialization/courses. I heartily recommend taking the courses, though, even just the first couple - they work through R and knitr very early.

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

Jun 5, 2015, 10:30:39 AM6/5/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Holy crap! So I think it was Dave who asked about prettier representations of data frames in knitr output, because by default they're just blocks of ASCII text and don't look great. I poked around today while updating the soda document and discovered https://github.com/yihui/printr which seems to solve the problem perfectly.