First Lego League Robotics Club Field Trip

Scott Niewohner

Nov 13, 2014, 12:08:19 PM11/13/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
I am a coach for an FLL group north of Omaha about 30 miles and our team chose "A better way to learn Scratch" as this years project for the competition.  Scratch is, of coarse, a program that introduces kids into the world of programming.  As part of the competition our teams needs to interview experts pertaining to the topic chosen and I thought OMG Code would be a great place to start.

If possible I would love to have our kids interview several experts from your group and maybe even sit in on one of your meetings for a few minutes to give our kids a taste of how real would programmers create wonderful new ideas.

If anyone can give me some insight if this is possible I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Scott Niewohner
sn.ou...@gmail.com

David Knaack

Nov 13, 2014, 12:42:06 PM11/13/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like fun! I know we have a couple of people who have used Scratch. A few years ago I wrote an Arduino-to-Scratch bridge using Firmata and intended for new programmers, heavily commented. I haven't udpated it though, it may no longer work with Scratch: https://code.google.com/p/hypercos/ I suppose I should at least move it to GitHub.

Maybe we could plan some lightening talks that the kids might be interested in, and then afterward they could talk with us?

--
OMG!Code http://code.omahamakergroup.org
---

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

Nov 13, 2014, 12:53:49 PM11/13/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's neat. I was a volunteer for FLL a few years ago when a coworker's son was in it... wound up timekeeping. I'd be happy to talk to them.

Scott Niewohner

Nov 13, 2014, 4:08:14 PM11/13/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Thats a great idea, we could have our questions prepared by next week.  We are looking to schedule a field trip as soon as possible, when would it work to get together with the group?

Scott N

Scott Niewohner

Nov 13, 2014, 4:15:41 PM11/13/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic!  David Knaak also responded and mentioned we could sit in on some lightening talks that our kids might be interested in and talk with your group afterward which sounds like a fun idea.  As I told David we are ready to schedule a meeting as soon as possible so whenever your group is available we would love to make this work.

Thanks,

Scott N

Scott Niewohner

Nov 14, 2014, 4:19:41 PM11/14/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
David,

I hate to keep bothering you but do you have an idea of when it might work to meet with our FLL group.  We have our next meeting Monday night and it would be great if we could discuss the potential dates.

Thanks,

Scott N

David Knaack

Nov 14, 2014, 5:20:51 PM11/14/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Our next regular meeting is scheduled for Dec 2. We normally meet once a month. If that doesn't work for you we can arrange to have some members meet at a different time. If we need to do that we'll have to discuss it here on the list and see what people's availability looks like.

Scott Niewohner

Nov 14, 2014, 5:34:41 PM11/14/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.  If at all possible it would be great to meet before Thanksgiving.  We need to put together a presentation for the competition and much of that information comes from experts that the kids interview.

If Dec. 2 is the only time that fits then we will do what we have to do, but if there is any potential in meeting earlier I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.

Scott N

Scott Niewohner

Nov 18, 2014, 12:10:59 PM11/18/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
We had our robotics meeting last night and it actually works out well to meet on Dec 2.  If this is still an option with your Coder Group please let me know and I will forward the info to the rest of my group.

Also, if you need me to do anything to help just let me know.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Scott N

Jay Hannah

Nov 23, 2014, 12:00:00 PM11/23/14
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 13, 2014, at 3:09 PM, Scott Niewohner <sn.ou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fantastic! David Knaak also responded and mentioned we could sit in on some lightening talks that our kids might be interested in and talk with your group afterward which sounds like a fun idea. As I told David we are ready to schedule a meeting as soon as possible so whenever your group is available we would love to make this work.

Hi Scott,

How many kids are you bringing? One of the challenges of the OMG!Code location is that space is pretty limited. We've been filling it about to comfortable capacity, with just our small group.

There are several much larger alternate locations on my short list that I could probably pretty-please talk people into letting us use. :)

Where does LLRC meet? Easier for us to meet you there?

Maybe give me a call whenever you have a few minutes?

Thanks,

Jay Hannah
402-598-7782