IPv6 multicast

1 view

James Harr

Apr 13, 2015, 6:35:34 PM4/13/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
A while back someone was asking "Did they fix multicast in IPv6?" and the answer was "not really". More specifically "not at all" for global multicast routing. There's a lot of technical hurdles that you have to overcome for global multicast routing, but there's also some business related ones I hadn't considered.

There's really no way to bill appropriately for it. If I'm the only one pulling down an mcast stream, the cost on the entire network is rather high (mcast is hard / expensive). If I'm the 1000th person tuning into an mcast stream, the incremental cost is much lower.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5218 - Case study A.4 has details.

Rest of the RFC is really good too and the lessons translate well to other tech sectors. Worth a read.

--
^[:wq^M