Most interesting project ever?

Travis Smith

Jan 9, 2015, 10:35:27 PM1/9/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
All,

Just curious:  what is the most interesting project that you have contributed to/worked up from scratch regarding use of programming?  Why?

Travis

Jay Hannah

Jan 11, 2015, 4:25:54 PM1/11/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 9, 2015, at 9:35 PM, Travis Smith <trav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious: what is the most interesting project that you have contributed to/worked up from scratch regarding use of programming? Why?

I LOVED bioinformatics.

I still love the IDEA of bioinformatics.

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Jay_Hannah

Who wouldn't want to cure cancer? :)

Travis Smith

Jan 13, 2015, 1:23:14 AM1/13/15
to omg-...@googlegroups.com
I would say that counts!

I still remember a professor from UNO showing up at OMG and giving a subsequent tour of his lab.  We got to see a really great overview of the gene sequencing process, from PCR magnification to electroforesis to the device used to read the results to the finished, obscure files on a database where so many other sequences ended up in digital form.  It is fascinating, and I'm sure that the process has only gotten better in the past few years since I know its a very fast moving science these days.

I noticed you said you like the IDEA of bioinformatics.  Why the distinction?  I'd be interested to know how the reality may mismatch with the expectation.

Coincidentally, I think its now about $100 to get your genome processed and mounted on your hardrive, trophy style.
Travis

OMG!Code http://code.omahamakergroup.org
---