Omeka 2.4

John Flatness

Jan 21, 2016, 5:35:50 PM1/21/16
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Omeka 2.4 is out!

An important note right away: the required version of PHP has been
increased: it's now at a minimum of 5.3.2. At the same time, after some
testing changes, external library updates, and squashed bugs, Omeka 2.4
now officially supports PHP 7. As usual, the general recommendation is
to use the latest stable version of PHP.

The other big-ticket change is that Omeka now uses HTML 5 tags for
embedding audio and video. If your site has files in "legacy" formats
that depended on browser plugins on your site, they will now generally
display as a link to the file, which visitors can then download and play
on their local machines. The browsers (with Chrome at the lead but
followed up by Edge and with an early warning of Firefox's intentions)
are really cutting back on their support for the kinds of plugins
Omeka's media support previously depended on, and the situation was only
worsening. The change should greatly increase Omeka's support for modern
formats and allow its media capabilities to grow along with the browsers
rather than shrink along with the old plugins.

There are a few significant updates to addons, too. Along with the usual
bug fixes and translation updates for the bundled themes and plugins,
the 2.4 release includes some new features for Exhibit Builder. In
Exhibit Builder 3.3, users can now select a specific "cover image" to
serve as the thumbnail for an exhibit, and can also use a new file-only
block layout to highlight and center images on a page.

I should also highlight the community contributions we got that went
into this release. Julian Maurice contributed a new function that
enables plural forms support for our translations, Daniel Berthereau
contributed fixes to the core as well as several plugins, and Will
Simpson and Ginger Bidwell contributed the aforementioned "cover image"
support for Exhibit Builder. A few of these changes have taken quite
some time to work their way to release, and we're glad to have them.

For more, you can check out:

Blog post: http://omeka.org/blog/2016/01/21/omeka-update-2-4/
Release notes: http://omeka.org/codex/Release_Notes_for_2.4
The actual download: http://omeka.org/files/omeka-2.4.zip