BigStuff Omeka Theme

Doug Palmer

Dec 22, 2015, 6:36:41 AM12/22/15
to Omeka Dev
Hi,

We (Alison and I)  contacted the Omeka team about a week ago inquiring about developing an Omeka theme that would suit our needs and contributing it to Omeka. To get a feel for what is possible, we've been working on a modification of the Berlin theme that would work for us. We're reasonably pleased with the result so we're interested in taking the next steps towards contributing it to Omeka.

As background, BigStuff is a series of conferences for those interested in large technology objects and industrial heritage. We've been developing a theme oriented towards collections of papers and other citable material, although there's also some functionality oriented towards allowing people to showcase their objects, sites and projects.

You can view a sample of the theme at http://www.charvolant.org/omeka and view the theme source at https://github.com/charvolant/bigstuff

The documentation at https://github.com/charvolant/bigstuff/blob/master/README.md describes the features and configuration options available.

Any advice on how to improve this and make it acceptable to Omeka would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Patrick Murray-John

Dec 22, 2015, 3:00:41 PM12/22/15
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks! This looks great. I'm giving it a quick test-drive, and so far it's working well.

There's info about preparing an addon to be included on omeka.org. http://omeka.org/codex/Preparing_your_addon_for_the_omeka.org_addons_lists We'd always love to see more theme available!

In the much beefed-up citations according to Item Type, do I follow right that if I were to add Location or Page to, for example, an Article Item Type, that those will be included in the citation the theme produces?

Thanks again. I look forward to exploring this theme more!
Patrick

Doug Palmer

Dec 22, 2015, 6:09:10 PM12/22/15
to Omeka Dev
Thanks for the quick reply

On Wednesday, 23 December 2015 07:00:41 UTC+11, patrickmj wrote:
Many thanks! This looks great. I'm giving it a quick test-drive, and so far it's working well.

There's info about preparing an addon to be included on omeka.org. http://omeka.org/codex/Preparing_your_addon_for_the_omeka.org_addons_lists We'd always love to see more theme available!

In the much beefed-up citations according to Item Type, do I follow right that if I were to add Location or Page to, for example, an Article Item Type, that those will be included in the citation the theme produces?

Not at the moment. At some point, it would be good to get more sophisticated and allow  things like that. At the moment, the citation styles are hard-coded and draw from the standard DC Terms vocabulary that all items use and, to a lesser extent, the terms included in Item Type Metadata for standard item types. Part of this is that I'm conscious of wanting to have everything work with a minimal Omeka setup; it should work even if you don't add in extra item types, such as 'Book'. Another part is wanting to avoid the deep rabbit-hole of a bibtex-like massively configurable citation generator.

The citation styles are fairly straightforwardly modifiable, though. There's a separate function for each item type, set up so that it's easy to add/delete elements.

I haven't experimented with including non-standard elements like Volume or Pages, even if they're not present. Advice on the cleanest way of doing things would be appreciated. I do want to make it work cleanly with the lower-end plans available on Omeka.net.

Doug

Doug Palmer

Dec 26, 2015, 8:24:11 PM12/26/15
to Omeka Dev

On Wednesday, 23 December 2015 07:00:41 UTC+11, patrickmj wrote:

In the much beefed-up citations according to Item Type, do I follow right that if I were to add Location or Page to, for example, an Article Item Type, that those will be included in the citation the theme produces?

I've updated the theme so that, if you add things like Location, Pages, Volume, Number etc. to the appropriate item types, they'll appear in the citation. See  http://www.charvolant.org/omeka/items/show/15 for an example. What goes with what is documented in the README.md

Doug Palmer

Jan 7, 2016, 12:34:33 AM1/7/16
to Omeka Dev
What do I need to do now to put this up as a theme? I've created a wordpress account but I'm not sure what the next steps should be.

Doug

Patrick Murray-John

Jan 12, 2016, 8:08:48 PM1/12/16
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! You should be able to add the theme under the 'Omeka Themes' tab on the admin side ( http://omeka.org/wordpress/wp-admin ). If not, I'll have to double-check the status of the account. What username did you use to sign up?