DSpace Import plugin for Omeka Released

Sean Hannan

Jul 24, 2008, 12:18:25 PM7/24/08
to Omeka Dev
I know I said I'd release it last week, but I had to run it by
administration first.

DSImport allows Omeka users to import DSpace content into Omeka
collections. It is based on the Dropbox plugin, so the instructions
in the codex (http://omeka.org/codex/Dropbox_plugin) apply to DSImport
as well.

In order to get both the bitstreams and the metadata out of DSpace,
DSImport requires a database user/password to the DSpace database
itself. A simple account with only SELECT privs will work. Database
connection info is entered on the Plugin Configuration page.

Importing in 4 steps:

1. From the DSpace Import tab on the Admin->Archive page, select the
DSpace collection to import.
2. Select the metadata mappings for each of the Omeka metadata types.
Some DC defaults are selected. Multiple DC fields can be selected for
each Omeka metadata type. They will be merged into a single field,
separated by semicolons.
3. Select the Omeka collection that the objects will be imported into.
4. Click 'Import Collection.'

Things to know:

This is the first release, so expect some rough edges.

I've only tested it against the JHU implementation of DSpace (http://
jscholarship.library.jhu.edu), so it's possible that it will not work
at all for anyone else. If you run into problems, let me know, and
I'll see if we can work it out.

Bitstreams are being pulled over HTTP (as one would view them from the
native DSpace interface). If you are restricting collections to
logged in users, it's likely that the bitstreams will not make it into
Omeka.

It's released under the GPL, so please feel free to send me patches.

Grab it here: http://blogs.library.jhu.edu/DSImport.zip

---
Sean Hannan
Sr. Programmer Analyst
The Sheridan Libraries of Johns Hopkins University
sha...@jhu.edu

Jim Safley

Jul 24, 2008, 1:05:25 PM7/24/08
to Omeka Dev
Sean,

This is fantastic. We've been meaning to write a DSpace plugin, so we
appreciate your efforts here. We'll take a look.

By the way, we're currently working on a new data model (http://
omeka.org/blog/2008/07/08/in-the-works-a-new-omeka-release/) that will
eventually necessitate some minor rewrites in your code. But don't
fret, you won't have to delimit multiple DC fields with semicolons
anymore -- multiple fields will be stored independently.

Best,
Jim
> shan...@jhu.edu

Sean Hannan

Jul 24, 2008, 4:46:53 PM7/24/08
to Omeka Dev
I saw the note about the new data model and decided to forge ahead
anyway (project requirements also dictated that I move forward as
well).

As of about 15 minutes ago, it looks like I will be attending RepoCamp
tomorrow. So, feel free to grab me at some point if this at all
strikes your fancy.

-Sean

Erin Bell

Apr 24, 2012, 2:51:56 PM4/24/12
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Is this DSpace Import plugin still functional/available in any form?