Universal Viewer for Omeka

Daniel Berthereau

Oct 6, 2015, 6:25:03 AM10/6/15
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just published a new plugin: Universal Viewer for Omeka
(https://github.com/Daniel-KM/UniversalViewer4Omeka).

it adds the IIIF specifications in order to serve images like an
IIPImage server, and the UniversalViewer
(https://github.com/UniversalViewer/universalviewer), a unified online
player for any file. It can display books, images, maps, audio, movies,
pdf and anything else as long as the appropriate extension is installed.
Rotation, zoom, inside search, etc. may be managed too.

The full specification of the "International Image Interoperability
Framework" standard is supported (level 2), so any other widget that
supports it can use it.

The Universal Viewer was firstly developed for the Wellcome Library of
the British Library and the National Library of Wales, then open
sourced.

See a demo (https://patrimoine.mines-paristech.fr/collections/play/7) on
the Bibliothèque patrimoniale of Mines ParisTech, or you can set the url
"https://patrimoine.mines-paristech.fr/collections/presentation/7/manifest"
in the official example server
(http://universalviewer.azurewebsites.net/), because this is fully
interoperable.

Sincerely,

--
Daniel Berthereau
Infodoc & Knowledge management

Sue Hemmens

Oct 6, 2015, 6:29:50 AM10/6/15
to omek...@googlegroups.com

Hi Daniel

This looks fantastic.

Thanks for your efforts!

Sue

Anurag Spatzenegger

Oct 6, 2015, 9:28:15 AM10/6/15
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Excellent - Thank you Daniel!

Patrick Murray-John

Oct 8, 2015, 8:28:14 AM10/8/15
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

Many thanks! I'll give this a try in the next couple days. Don't if
you've already done so, but just in case I sent along a message to the
IIIF folks. They've been very interested in seeing Omeka and IIIF
integration, so I think they'll be very excited.

Patrick

Daniel Berthereau

Oct 14, 2015, 12:43:20 AM10/14/15
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks. In fact, this is an integration I made for an emergency order for images and pdf only and I just added support to create manifest for audio and video. The Universal Viewer can read them if the browser of the user can read it.

About IIIF, the aim of the plugin was to integrate UniversalViewer, so IIIF is required, so Omeka metadata needed to be converted into manifest.json, and an image server is required too, so it translates IIIF urls into Zend / Omeka ones and do level 2 transformations. There is still some work to finalize it, but it can play common file formats, and that's what most people want.

Besides, IIIF has been integrated in Drupal by an agency for another project too, but the module is not yet open sourced.

Sincerely,

Daniel Berthereau
Infodoc & Knowledge management

ding

Apr 1, 2016, 2:02:04 PM4/1/16
to Omeka Dev
Hi,

Thanks for the plugin. I installed the latest version (2.2.1) of UV on localhost. I was able to get PDFs working, but I have trouble processing images. Sorry that I'm new in uv plugin, I install iiif server, but i'm not sure how they're connect, is there any quick start guide to follow for image processing?

Thank you!

Daniel Berthereau

May 11, 2016, 4:02:08 AM5/11/16
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. You don't have to install anything else, all is included. The plugin creates iiif manifest from Omeka items and display them via the uv.
Sincerely,

Daniel Berthereau