CSV export

Rachel Di Cresce

Sep 28, 2016, 10:21:10 AM9/28/16
to Omeka Dev
Dear All,

I am from the University of Toronto where we are working on a Mellon-funded project entitled 'Digital Tools for Manuscript Study'. Part of our goal is to integrate some useful tools for manuscript scholars as plug-ins with Omeka.

Based on user research and our project outcomes we were interested in a .csv export functionality. After a bit of digging I do know this was discussed a few years ago and it was decided that this functionality would not move on with the new versions of Omeka.

The reason we are interested in exporting in .csv rather than any other format is we want the data of our users to be as modular and easy to export/import as possible. Our user group consists of a fair amount of digital humanities and manuscript scholars who have varying amounts of technical capabilities. For us, a .csv file is an easy and familiar export format that is also ideal for our user preservation needs. In addition, it allows them to use their data in a variety of other platforms that expect a file format like .csv.

Any help you could offer in this matter would be greatly appreciated. We are willing to develop this ourselves if it is something we determine is essential and would serve the Omeka community in a positive way. I am interested to hear from the Omeka team about this issue and any concerns, ideas and alternatives that may satisfy our use case in this situation.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best,

Rachel Di Cresce
Digital Project Librarian
University of Toronto Libraries

Patrick Murray-John

Sep 28, 2016, 11:09:01 AM9/28/16
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Rachel,

The best options that I know of are my PHP script and Caleb McDaniel's Python scripts that converts data from the API to CSV. Caleb's is better and has more features if you have Python running.

Patrick

Ken Albers

Sep 28, 2016, 4:08:49 PM9/28/16
to Omeka Dev
We've also done some work to improve Caleb's scripts a little so that users don't have to edit the scripts anymore, and so that it will retrieve exhibit data: https://github.com/omeka/PythonOmekaApiToCsv

Best,
Ken

Rachel Di Cresce

Sep 28, 2016, 4:28:07 PM9/28/16
to Omeka Dev
Many thanks, Patrick and Ken! We shall investigate these options further and may check back in in the near future if have any questions.

Thanks again,
Rachel