12v Batteries

James Harr

Jan 26, 2016, 2:26:24 PM1/26/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I've happened upon some UPS batteries. They were taken out of service due to scheduled maintenance, so they're all in pretty good shape.

- 36x 12v, 75Ah lead-acid, with 120A anderson connectors. http://imgur.com/LjTfk6o
- 6x metal battery cases. Each holds 6 batteries. I believe it's wired in series.

If you want any, tell me how many and which things. I'm not hauling them to the maker space so someone else can collect the money at the recyclers, so you only get them if you think you'll use them, I'm willing to haul that many, and the owner is willing to part with that many.

OMG regulars - how many should we keep for the space? how many for power wheels racing? I'm planning on harvesting unused connectors and cables at the very least.

I need to know by midnight. I make no guarantee on availability, the owner of these batteries gets dibs.

David Knaack

Jan 26, 2016, 2:44:47 PM1/26/16
to OMG
I have a giant 240V UPS that needs batteries taking up space in my garage, something called a "Matrix UPS 3000". I don't want to mess with it, maybe someone would be interested in combining 48V worth of these batteries with it to see if it can be useful.

As far as I know it's fine, it was taken out of service because buying a whole new UPS system was cheaper than getting new batteries for it.

If it can be made to work, maybe it would be useful at the space.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Daniel Pfile

Jan 26, 2016, 2:57:21 PM1/26/16
to OMG
If they'll fit in the power chair base, I'll take on getting two of them wired up in it.

I'd also take one or two for my home network UPS that need a new battery.

Like Dave, I also have an old 48v rack mount UPS that needs batteries and I don't want for myself, if somebody at the space wants to make it go.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:26 PM, James Harr <james...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ben Hutcheson

Jan 26, 2016, 4:02:54 PM1/26/16
to OMG
I don't need any myself, but I second Daniel on getting a pair into the electric wheelchair.

I'm not sure they're worth using in a Power Wheels car, but we could put 2-4 of them together as a supply for fast-charging our lithiums in the pits during a race.

Jared Wirth

Jan 26, 2016, 4:04:00 PM1/26/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Alas, the main drip in the center of the building is leaking again.  I moved a bucket beneath...

Rob Townley

Jan 26, 2016, 9:43:35 PM1/26/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Those batteries look much bigger than most APC UPS batteries we use.  I could make out the APC label, but not the "model" of battery.

Marc M

Jan 26, 2016, 10:41:54 PM1/26/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in one for a project I am working on.

I would even be willing to buy one

Marc M

Jan 26, 2016, 10:42:35 PM1/26/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Or two maybe even four depending

James Harr

Jan 27, 2016, 11:47:19 AM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I wound up grabbing all the batteries. In lieu of payment or anything, I just want a promise that if the batteries turn out to not be useful that they're disposed of properly. This is a lot of lead. And as mentioned before, I didn't haul all of these over to the space so someone else could immediately turn them in for a recycling deposit, so do something fun with them.

If you can, please pick yours up tonight. It's a lot of bench space I took over and want to give it back soon.

So far, this is the list (top two get their selection of battery since it's for OMG):
- Daniel Pfile: 2x for the wheel chair
- Ben: 2-4x for a mobile power wheels charging kit
- Chris Olson: 6x w/ case
- Ryan Stile: 2x
- Marc: 2-4x
- David Knaack: TBD (basically whatever people don't want).

More info on the batteries:

Marc M

Jan 27, 2016, 11:56:24 AM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
My only problem is I cannot get down there tonight. I have to be at
work at 6pm and I dont get off until around 2am.

Nate

Jan 27, 2016, 11:57:14 AM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
someone should be at the space by around 5 usually....if that helps

Marc M

Jan 27, 2016, 11:59:12 AM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing if my friend can come down to pick them up for me.

Marc M

Jan 27, 2016, 12:18:55 PM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Actually just talked to my boss and I can run a little late. I will be
out there shortly after 5ish

Daniel Pfile

Jan 27, 2016, 1:34:15 PM1/27/16
to OMG
I won't be able to make it in this evening. Could somebody please set a pair of good quality (if you test them) next to the wheel chair? I'll wire them up next week.

If there is still an extra available for my personal use, I'd appreciate it if somebody would set it aside as well please.

David Knaack

Jan 27, 2016, 1:38:08 PM1/27/16
to OMG
Will do.

James Harr

Jan 27, 2016, 4:48:36 PM1/27/16
to OMG

Marc, I'll write your name on 4. Think you can make it down Saturday?

I just don't want them hanging around too long. They're taking up a lot of table space that could be used for projects.

Marc M

Jan 27, 2016, 4:50:40 PM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thank You James. I can swing out there tonight before work. Literally
would have to grab them and go.

James Harr

Jan 27, 2016, 5:53:53 PM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Marc, I won't be at the space at 5 and not likely before 6, I have an errand to run before then. If someone else is going to be there, by all means, but I won't.

Marc M

Jan 27, 2016, 6:19:43 PM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I posted on the list. Thank you James.

James Harr

Jan 27, 2016, 8:29:02 PM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Ben, Mark, and Daniel all got what they needed. Dave picked his minimum amount.

Ryan and Chris, you may have to fight over the last 6. We also have some smaller packs that are up for grabs. First come first serve. Don't take ones with names on them.

Chris, I'll have a case with wiring for you on Saturday.

James Harr

Jan 27, 2016, 8:54:01 PM1/27/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

https://youtu.be/wcanv-t8yyA

Wheel chair got its new set.

Marc M

Jan 28, 2016, 3:34:25 AM1/28/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thank You Again James!!!

Sorry I had to run so fast. Just got home from work

Chris Olson

Jan 28, 2016, 9:59:52 AM1/28/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Arg!  I don't have key yet!  Could not get away from house last night, could not get in this morning!  Any chance someone will be there this afternoon?

Chris

Ryan Stille

Jan 29, 2016, 11:00:11 AM1/29/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Whoops I forgot to check on this thread... if there is still a battery there and if the space is unlocked tonight I can pick one up on my way home from work.

James Harr

Jan 29, 2016, 12:25:17 PM1/29/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Ryan/Chris, I'm not going to be there tonight. If someone else is willing to open the doors, you can grab your take. I will be there Saturday from 10a-1p if you want to pick them up then.

I unfortunately will NOT have the cases this weekend, though I should be getting them on Monday.

Ryan Stille

Jan 29, 2016, 9:08:53 PM1/29/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
James, thanks for getting these batteries for us!

-Ryan

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:26 PM, James Harr <james...@gmail.com> wrote:

Chris Olson

Jan 30, 2016, 10:22:58 AM1/30/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I second the thanks for the batteries!

Chris Olson
sent from LG G3

Jared Wirth

Jan 30, 2016, 10:38:13 AM1/30/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
hay muchos pilas

James Harr

Jan 30, 2016, 2:52:56 PM1/30/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

All the batteries have found homes. Thanks everyone.

James Harr

Feb 3, 2016, 8:19:54 PM2/3/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Chris, we have one battery box with your name on it. Still want it?

Chris Olson

Feb 4, 2016, 4:10:45 AM2/4/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Yes! I'll get it tomorrow...