OMGFTW project and funding

James Harr

Mar 14, 2015, 12:46:13 PM3/14/15
to omg...@googlegroups.com, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It’s about time we get started on the power wheels racers for this year. We’re starting a fund raising campaign.

We’re aiming for $1500 and we already have $610 raised, so only $890 to go! Thanks to everyone who has chipped in so far!

$1500 sounds like a lot, but includes two battery packs, motors, motor controllers, hydraulic brakes (which are amazing, btw), and tools for the pit like battery chargers. Any money that doesn’t get used this year will be ear-marked for the next.

To donate, we've set up a paypal link on the website. It sends the money to fin...@omahamakergroup.org and puts a note on the money.

James Harr

Mar 31, 2015, 9:15:50 PM3/31/15
to omg...@googlegroups.com, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Update: button on the website is fixed.

Alternatively, you can use this link, directly.
--
^[:wq^M

tavshed

Mar 31, 2015, 9:57:33 PM3/31/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
How much to go?

- Mike
--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

2015 Omaha Mini Maker Faire - An event for everyone!
September 19, 2015 - 9a - 5p
Omaha Children's Museum - www.omahamakerfaire.com

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Omaha Maker Group" group.

James Harr

Apr 4, 2015, 11:14:40 AM4/4/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omg...@googlegroups.com
$620 to go to hit $1500.

Thanks to everyone who has pitched in so far!

--
^[:wq^M

tavshed

Apr 4, 2015, 2:52:53 PM4/4/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
What is goal date?

- Mike

Eric Kaplan

Apr 4, 2015, 2:57:49 PM4/4/15
to OMG Mailing List
Ben and James can correct me if I'm wrong.  The race is the end of June.  We'd like to be up and running, testing and fine tuning, by June 1st.  That means all of our purchases probably need to be received by May 1.

Eric J. Kaplan

2015 Omaha Mini Maker Faire - An event for everyone!
September 19, 2015 - 9a - 5p
Omaha Children's Museum - www.omahamakerfaire.com

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 4, 2015, 6:09:47 PM4/4/15
to OMG Mailing List

Realistically, probably April 15th or so, given the shipping time frames we experienced on the batteries last year... They have to go ground...

Snekse

Apr 8, 2015, 12:08:10 PM4/8/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Lurker. What's the power wheel racers about?

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 8, 2015, 12:14:13 PM4/8/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
From the official website:
"Build and Race a $500 Electric Car"

Luis E. Rodriguez

Apr 8, 2015, 12:18:17 PM4/8/15
to Omaha Maker Group
Another lurker here from Kansas City!

Please do signup for Maker Faire KC so I can assure the track gets built. I only have two teams signed so far. You will see this message in the PPPRS forums too. ALso here is some inspiration: http://www.volpinprops.com/the-marriott-chariot/

Booth signup

Below  is a quadcopter shot of the track. Front and center and pretty big! Same setup this year.

Luis Rodriguez
Maker Faire Kansas City Producer

Luis E. Rodriguez

Eric J. Kaplan

Apr 8, 2015, 12:30:27 PM4/8/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
It's high up on my to do list. I should have us registered in the next few days. We'll likely have 2 teams again this year, like we did last year.

Sent from Eric's iPhone

On Apr 8, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Luis E. Rodriguez <lrodrig...@gmail.com> wrote:

Another lurker here from Kansas City!

Please do signup for Maker Faire KC so I can assure the track gets built. I only have two teams signed so far. You will see this message in the PPPRS forums too. ALso here is some inspiration: http://www.volpinprops.com/the-marriott-chariot/

Booth signup

Below  is a quadcopter shot of the track. Front and center and pretty big! Same setup this year.
<PPPRS.jpg>

James Harr

Apr 12, 2015, 10:42:24 PM4/12/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omg...@googlegroups.com
Quick update. $535 of $1500 to go.

I know a couple people directly purchased parts. If you did, shoot me what you spent so it's in that number above.
--
^[:wq^M

James Harr

Apr 19, 2015, 3:47:08 PM4/19/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omg...@googlegroups.com
Update: only $115 of $1500 to go to hit our target! Thanks everyone who has contributed.

Yesterday, we placed orders for many of the parts and tools for the new car, "Steve":
- Batteries (two packs)
- A decent charger (one that can charge a pack in less than a week)
- motor controller
- emergency disconnect relay/solenoid
- power connectors, crimper

We have brakes, parts for the frame, and some other things in-hand.

I believe we still need spare wheels/tires. The fronts we're going to get from surplus center in Lincoln, but we can never seem to get there when the place is open. Ben/Brandon -- which tires do we want? Maybe someone who makes regular trips to lincoln could swing by.

--
^[:wq^M

Brandon Norris

Apr 19, 2015, 5:10:17 PM4/19/15
to omgftw, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

James Harr

Apr 25, 2015, 3:06:53 PM4/25/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omg...@googlegroups.com
Update: $15 to go! Anything we don't spend this year will go towards next year's power wheel racer.

We have most of the parts we've ordered on-hand. We're still waiting on the charger and some rear wheels.

Thanks!
--
^[:wq^M

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 25, 2015, 3:10:23 PM4/25/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omg...@googlegroups.com

Nice. Were the "tin" battery boxes manufacturer supplied, or was that something you came up with?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "OMGFTW Racing #8410" group.

James Harr

Apr 25, 2015, 3:15:51 PM4/25/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omg...@googlegroups.com

That's what they were shipped in. They're just plastic cases, 4 cells per, and had some knock outs you could run wires through. We'll likely chuck them after we have a proper case built, but it's nice to have something protecting contacts until then.

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 25, 2015, 3:19:38 PM4/25/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, omg...@googlegroups.com

KITTs plywood box worked really well... Is the the plan again with the new cells?

Ben Hutcheson

Apr 25, 2015, 6:27:22 PM4/25/15
to omg...@googlegroups.com, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Yep, we'll be doing something similar to the box from KITT.  Which, incidentally, got several upgrades today.
Box.jpg

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 25, 2015, 7:40:38 PM4/25/15
to omg...@googlegroups.com, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Now with connectors that won't melt? :-)

Ben Hutcheson

Apr 25, 2015, 9:16:27 PM4/25/15
to omg...@googlegroups.com, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Non-melty connectors, an acrylic cover sheet, and the two halves are bussed together in anticipation of our incoming 10-cell charger.