CNC

Jeff Jensen

Jun 1, 2016, 7:44:34 AM6/1/16
to omaha-maker-group
All,

I am looking for someone with a larger format CNC machine that can handle a sheet of Delryn to produce parts that look like 1" cubes.  There are more holes and cuts than that, but you get the idea.

If you or someone you know can help with these parts, please let me know.  We have a project due in about 2 weeks so time also matters.  Because I will be working on the other aspects of the project, for this one at least I am looking for strictly an outsourcing arrangement rather than learning how to do it.

Jeff

Nate

Jun 1, 2016, 8:05:02 AM6/1/16
to omaha-maker-group
I believe there are a few schools in the area that have a large CNC table.  You might call around to the millard schools first...

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Ben Hutcheson

Jun 1, 2016, 8:13:27 AM6/1/16
to omaha-maker-group
I would start by calling the fabrication lab at metro community college.  They gave a presentation on Tuesday and it sounds like they have some impressive capabilities, specifically for this kind of situation.

Call Mike Guericke at 704-773-9232.  He runs that facility.

Russ H

Jun 1, 2016, 11:42:24 AM6/1/16
to Omaha Maker Group
Using a CNC router or mill would require the use of a milling type cutter. A milling type cutter puts side pressure on the work piece it is cutting. the work piece you are cutting out along with the sheet you are cutting cannot move during the cutting process. The piece being cut out will have to be  supported all the way to the end of the cut. If it moves when the part is finished (parting off) the piece will hit the cutter and be trashed. All of the little pieces 1x1 will have to be kept in place through the whole process.
The South Omaha campus of Metro Tech has a wood shop with a large format CNC machine that can handle 5x10 sheets but the sheets are held in place with vaccuum. The parts being cut are held in place by being sucked down against a particle board spoil board. In my past experience using this machine, I have found that cutting small parts (smaller than 3x3 required that the parts be tabbed and held place rather then with the vaccuum.
I suggest you look at laser or water jet cutting of the parts.

Russ

Eric J. Kaplan

Jun 1, 2016, 2:21:43 PM6/1/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Delrin does not typically do well in a laser, depending on thickness and speed.

That being said, the aforementioned Fab Lab also has a large-format laser cutter and would probably still be a good place to start.

Sent from Eric's iPhone

Jeff Jensen

Jun 2, 2016, 9:56:46 AM6/2/16
to omaha-maker-group
Thank you all for your information.

Russ, yes we have had the milling cutter deforming problem, and have worked through it with acceptable results.  The water jet option sounds interesting.  Can you recommend a shop here that can do that work?

Jeff