Low(er) cost desktop waterjet cutter!

Ryan Stille

Sep 21, 2016, 1:53:47 PM9/21/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Doh we missed the $3599 early bird on kickstarter.  But I'll bet we'll have one of these at the Maker Space in a few years.

-Ryan

Kevin Fusselman

Sep 21, 2016, 1:57:10 PM9/21/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

The cutting head is the hard part... Like a 3d printer or a laser cutter, there's little side load, so the mechanical aspect is (relative to a mill) easier.

Like you said, in a few years there'll be knockoff Chinese cutting head kits where one can just add their own gantry and go.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Ben Hutcheson

Sep 21, 2016, 2:22:35 PM9/21/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I don't know, most of the cutting head seems like you could hack it together in the same manner as a 3D printer hot end.  There must be a couple really wear-resistant specialized parts (maybe ceramic) and probably a replaceable nozzle, but those are just the kind of thing we all love to buy from China if the market develops.

Has any review of this thing gone into detail on the pump they're using?  They're being really shy about it, just saying that it's higher than home plumbing pressure but lower than commercial waterjets.  That seems to narrow it right down to something between 100 and 30,000 PSI...  I wonder if they're abusing a hydraulic gear pump.

Also, I doubt we're missing anything on the preorders.  They've managed to make one really solid-looking machine, but from the interview I saw with Hackaday, they don't have a clue how they're going to bring this thing to large-scale production.  I'll be stunned if they make their ship date.