Echo

Nate

Jun 23, 2015, 4:22:29 PM6/23/15
to OMG Mailing List
Is anyone planning to order Echo?  or an early user?

David Knaack

Jun 23, 2015, 4:29:28 PM6/23/15
to OMG
I got on the early user list, but then I remembered how much I despise voice control, so I didn't follow up on it.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

2015 Omaha Mini Maker Faire - An event for everyone!
September 19, 2015 - 9a - 5p
Omaha Children's Museum - www.omahamakerfaire.com

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Omaha Maker Group" group.

Adam W

Jun 23, 2015, 6:27:00 PM6/23/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I got mine two weeks ago...Awesome! Will answer any questions people have.

Adam

Nathan Schulte

Jun 24, 2015, 12:14:42 AM6/24/15
On 06/23/2015 05:26 PM, Adam W wrote:
> I got mine two weeks ago...Awesome! Will answer any questions people have.

How do you know Amazon isn't recording your voice and storing it in the
eternal cloud?

--
Nate

Sarah Edwards

Jun 24, 2015, 9:16:04 AM6/24/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
My parents have one (early adopters) and they aren't that impressed. My mom wants to know technical weather questions like, "what's the relative humidity?" and Alexa can't keep up.

Jason

Jun 24, 2015, 11:24:46 AM6/24/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
How do you know google/apple/MS/rim aren't doing the same thing with your laptop or smartphone?

Nathan Schulte

Jun 24, 2015, 11:36:21 AM6/24/15
On 06/24/2015 10:24 AM, Jason wrote:
> How do you know google/apple/MS/rim aren't doing the same thing with
> your laptop or smartphone?

I suspect they are, and I do what I can to avoid/prevent it. Pretty
sure the SIM co-proc is being manhandled by my carrier and the powers
that be anyway, so there's only so much I can really do about it.

OP said to ask questions... and this is about the only serious one I
have. I trust the product works, but maybe I shouldn't (seeing Sarah's
reply).

--
Nate

kyle

Jun 25, 2015, 1:47:57 PM6/25/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I almost bought the UBI but came to the conclusion I already have this on my phone and pulling it out of my pocket is not that difficult.

BTW, I believe the UBI has some If Then functionality that the ECHO does not. I was thinking of having it send my boys to their rooms anytime there is noise above a certain decibel. And have it make thunder noises every time it hears someone say, "Frau Blucher". And anytime I asked it a question I would follow up it's response with "Surely you're not serious!" and you can guess where this is going. Anyway it looked like more fun than the ECHO but I found several poor reviews about it's voice control.

Travis Smith

Jun 26, 2015, 9:59:59 AM6/26/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Kyle, you have good ideas.