Electric scooters

Travis Smith

Nov 19, 2016, 7:51:20 AM11/19/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
OMG,

I seem to remember us having a scooter that we used to get around the
dusty confines of Makery 1.0. Now that I'm returning to the US, I've
been looking at all manner of transportation devices, and the latest
research has me looking at electric scooters for the geek factor...but
it appears that maybe they're getting popular in city environs? Do tell.

Anyway, looks like when I search for e-bikes, and e-scooters, there are
all sorts of body designs and schemes, but magically they all do around
the same top speed and sorta the same range. And they all cost
500-1300. Who knew?

My use cases? Papio Creek trail commute to work on nice days, tooling
around at Offutt and ruining my reputation (further), and maybe being
hip in Midtown-Downtown until I wreck trying to ride on cobblestones.

This looks promising.
https://ecorecoscooter.com/product/s5/

--
-Travis

Kevin Fusselman

Nov 19, 2016, 10:29:31 AM11/19/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

So far as I'm aware, the rules in Omaha / nebraska haven't changed yet, regarding powered vehicles on trails, or "required pedals"... I think that'll be your biggest hurdle.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Ben Hutcheson

Nov 19, 2016, 10:44:50 AM11/19/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
From what I've seen, the best-performing option will be adding a power system to a regular mountain bike. That also looks somewhat less ridiculous, and gets you around the pedal requirement to be on the trails. Brandon recently showed me an interesting option I've forgotten the name of, but in general "e-bike" will get you much further as a search term than "electric scooter" will.

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Kevin Fusselman

Nov 19, 2016, 10:48:48 AM11/19/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Also, bolsters your "No, officer, I'm totally just pedaling" claims :)

Folding pedals and a fancy plastic body tend to diminish that somewhat :)

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Jared Wirth

Nov 19, 2016, 10:49:09 AM11/19/16
to OMG Mailing List
I should have acted on getting an electric bike.   I could have taken the keystone trail to work as my commute all the way from Bellevue to 84th and Dodge....Alas, not a job I work at anymore...

Travis Smith

Nov 19, 2016, 8:51:18 PM11/19/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Good thing I asked you guys! I'd forgotten about the pedal law. The
Man trying to ruin everything...but I guess riding an actual bicycle
implies I might expend some effort at moving my legs.

$1000 electric kick scooter ---> $1000 inconspicuously powered bicycle

On 11/20/2016 12:49 AM, Jared Wirth wrote:
> I should have acted on getting an electric bike. I could have taken
> the keystone trail to work as my commute all the way from Bellevue to
> 84th and Dodge....Alas, not a job I work at anymore...
>
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Ben Hutcheson <hutche...@gmail.com
> <mailto:hutche...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> From what I've seen, the best-performing option will be adding a
> power system to a regular mountain bike. That also looks somewhat
> less ridiculous, /and/ gets you around the pedal requirement to be
> omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:omaha-maker-group%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>
> --
> Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop
> Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of
> the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve
>
> Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K
> Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise.
> http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
> ---
> Google Groups "Omaha Maker Group" group.
> it, send an email to
> omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop
> Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the
> proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve
>
> Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street,
> #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise.
> http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
> ---
> Groups "Omaha Maker Group" group.
> send an email to omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon
> using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds.
> http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve
>
> Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5,
> Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
> ---
> Groups "Omaha Maker Group" group.
> an email to omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com>.

-Travis

GPG Key: BFEB 7E65 04EB 184B A150 2E2C CC11 933F EE27 D86E

Kevin Fusselman

Nov 19, 2016, 8:52:46 PM11/19/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I dunno that it's so much "ruin everything" as "raise the bar for running down pedestrians at high speeds"