Call for Presentation Topics (what are you Making?)

Travis Smith

Apr 29, 2017, 5:15:30 PM4/29/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
OMG,

One of the most rewarding aspects of being part of this group is learning from each other.  Perhaps you've been studying a topic, slaving away on a project, or your are a subject matter expert on something:  share it with us!

Here's a link to a rudimentary spreadsheet.  Our meeting nights are every two weeks on Tuesdays, and I've thrown in the next two dates.  We'll use this as a draft to hash out meetings for the next 'little while.'  If you want to speak, add your name, topic, and desired date.

Thanks!

Eric J. Kaplan

Apr 29, 2017, 5:30:54 PM4/29/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Travis!

Let me add that the subject can be just about anything. We've had presentations about antique tools, working with plastics, co-housing, 3D printing basics, leather work, bio engineering, trips taken to other Makerspaces, and more. If you find it interesting, chances are we, as your friends and fellow makers, will too.

If you're not sure, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Sent from Eric's iPhone
--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Travis Smith

May 1, 2017, 5:26:16 PM5/1/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to those who have take a look at the spreadsheet so far.  Another way to think about Tuesday's meetings:  what would you like to know more about, or learn to do?  Throw in a suggestion or two.  Maybe we could have a meeting format where we all bring a bit of knowledge about a certain subject and then share our bit with the group--which might lead to ideas for a new project.

So, replies to this thread for suggestions, and throw into the spreadsheet for a committed talk.

Here are my suggestions:  I'm learning Python.  I've also been doing a bunch of MOOCs related to math and programming.

Possible discussions:
- physical projects that can be enhanced with code
- 'best of' snippets from MOOCs you've enjoyed
- Scraping data and turning it into something new
- simple automation tasks you can do with code
- tracking birds with GPS and Python
- Open government data visualization efforts in and around Nebraska
- What using Github effectively looks like
- Make your own static website for free
- Create dynamic content on a website
- Make a roomba simulator (how stochastics works)
- How genetic algorithms work
- How TensorFlow works
- How to make a robot with the brain of a worm (yes, really)
- Random parts jumble flash projects:  We get a bunch of parts based on a theme, throw them on the table, and after 10 minutes of thinking up things to do with the parts, we make said thing.  ex. arduino + pressure sensors + battery + wires + balls + servos + kite material might equal a ball that you can throw in the air that then deploys a parachute from a certain height, or attempts to glide at the height of a bounce if you throw it laterally.  Etc.
- Brainstorm for the Community recurring meetings:  how can we improve parks, rivers, the city, using our abilities?

What would you like to make?

Travis

GPG Key: BFEB 7E65 04EB 184B A150 2E2C CC11 933F EE27 D86E

Derek Stearns

May 24, 2017, 5:45:34 PM5/24/17
to Omaha Maker Group
Ambitions!!

I too am in infancy when it comes to learning to crawl with python, and would second that topic. One suggestion might be a crossover event with Omaha mobile/JavaScript/InsertOtherPlatformHere meetup groups when It comes to software/programming?

Possible discussions/projects:
- integrate something like API.ai or clarif.ai to assist in identifying OMG inventory (think like a Point of sale scanner...as items are donated you just hold it up to the OMG scanner and it adds it to inventory; and vice versa for reduction of inventory)
- I want to build this (or at least parts, I'm unsure how much force those servos can actually apply) : http://inmoov.fr/
- Turn a produce scale into something more interesting (or maybe just a clock?)
- 3D "roomba" printed lawn mower (I think I saw an instructibles...)
- 3D printed robot that uses smartphone as its primary sensors and communicated with an onboard arduino.
- A rapid software prototyping tool that provides a web admin, CMS, and an ionic project with smart scaffolding
- An insrment that can be played through atypical means...think theremin meets pad controllers or something.
- Community around robotic consumer customization--do for robotics what open source and tech companies have done for software development (I.e. Maybe a robot that lives in the makery that can be controlled remotely and watched remotely?)
- a robot that can pick up waste/litter

"Brainstorm for the Community recurring meetings: how can we improve parks, rivers, the city, using our abilities?" <--- also second this idea!

Derek

Travis Smith