Save The Date - Fir Lumber Rally! - March 29th!!

Eric Kaplan

Jan 29, 2016, 9:18:18 AM1/29/16
to OMG Mailing List
Dave and I are finalizing the details, and we'll get a full email out to everyone soon.  But for now, mark your calendars for Tuesday, March 29th!

Generally speaking, Boy Scout rules apply for the geometry of the car (length, width, track clearance), but we are adding an ounce to the weight - 6 ounces total.

Tell your family and friends, too!  The event will be open to OMG members and their guests, plus folks on the mailing list.

Eric J. Kaplan

The Omaha Maker Group - Explore Science, Technology & Art!
Omaha's Original Makerspace

Nate

Mar 1, 2016, 1:41:50 PM3/1/16
to OMG Mailing List

30 days...

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Kevin Fusselman

Mar 1, 2016, 1:50:58 PM3/1/16
to OMG Mailing List

There's been some folks working on their entries at the space, though I think only Eric has a finished car...

Eric J. Kaplan

Mar 1, 2016, 2:25:03 PM3/1/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Car #1 is finished.
Car #2 is assembled, but needs tuning.
Car #3 is glued up, ready to start shaping. Hoping to do that tonight.

Because cars....

Sent from Eric's iPhone

Eric Kaplan

Mar 8, 2016, 9:23:36 AM3/8/16
to OMG Mailing List
3 weeks from today!

I know I've seen and heard a few folks working on their entries.  Hopefully, you are too!  We had a great turnout when we did this the first time, so I'm hoping it's even better this time around.  The mini lathe has been setup on a bench in the main shop if you want to use it to tune axles and wheels, and there's a 3'-4' section of track available to test fit and function.

And just a fun fact - I have several entries, but one of them is literally an off-the-shelf, store-purchased toy car from Ikea.  All I have done to it is add a few bits of lead (not even mounted) to get the weight up to 6 ounces.  It's my "least effort" entry.  Surely, you can do better than that, right?  Right???

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you have any barriers preventing you from joining in (that I can address, anyway).

Race on!