Calling all/any 3D microelectronics makers!

Derek Stearns

Mar 21, 2018, 10:54:53 AM3/21/18
to Omaha Maker Group
Greetings all,

I am very new to making in the physical sense. I am an IT auditor at Mutual of Omaha by trade, an accountant by academic, and a musician, software programmer, and (now) maker by hobby.

To cut to the chase, I am hoping I might find someone interested in working with me to build this:

For those not interested in following the link, a Frenchman has built an open source full-scale humanoid. It is not fully mobile, however, it is one of the most promising open source humanoid robotics projects I have found to date. I would save up for something like an NAO or perhaps another bi-pedal robot, but they are pretty small in stature and a little more than I want to spend (~$5K-$7K).

I recently acquired the PCB needed as well as the finger starter kit. I am willing to supply all of the funds for all the materials, but I know I cannot be the sole worker on this as I have a 3 year old son and could have another by the end of the year. Mainly, I would like to have a version of this project in operation for education and learning about Machine Learning. After I am finished with it I would like to donate it to either this group, UNO Makers, or perhaps Do Space.

I have a Kinnect V2(or V1) waiting in the wings. I know time is of the essence if we want to use it because Microsoft has chosen not to support it.

Please let me know if this is something that would interest you.

Random notes:
For those concerned with my experience, I am working on ramping up my microcontroller programming skills ala adafruit projects and makerclub.org projects when I can spare a half hour. I am very new in general to OMG and am very much interested in getting a membership to store this project, but can only justify it if I have some assistance. Thank you to all of the members and contributors to OMG. I took a few capacitors and a knob last weekend for another project I am working on, so many thanks for that! I hope to contribute to OMG by providing funding for anyone who might want to work on this, and perhaps a good piece for future maker faires. :)

Dave Thacker

Mar 21, 2018, 7:10:59 PM3/21/18
to omaha-maker-group
Hi Derek,
The shop will be open tomorrow night (Thursday) about 5:30-6 pm.  Watch for the "Makerspace is Open" on the mailing list. We can tell you about membership and you can discuss your project with us.   There are usually folks around on Saturday mid-day, and next Tuesday will be a regular meeting.  Hope to see you tomorrow night.

Dave

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Dave Thacker

Derek Stearns

Mar 24, 2018, 2:10:23 PM3/24/18
to Omaha Maker Group
Sorry Dave,

I wasn't able to make it Thursday and I missed that message. I probably need to figure out how to get notifications for this forum to my email.

Dave Thacker

Dave Thacker

Mar 25, 2018, 6:27:42 PM3/25/18
to omaha-maker-group
No worries, check the website for the next open day and stop by.

Dave

Dave Thacker

Eric J. Kaplan

Mar 25, 2018, 6:44:39 PM3/25/18