A Maker's Return

Travis Smith

Oct 8, 2016, 3:17:57 AM10/8/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
OMG,

I hope the dues haven't gone up too much, but in any event, it looks
like membership will be ticking up by 1 in a few months. :)

Now with a wife and dog, I'm wondering a few things:

- What areas of town do you recommend? Ben, I know you're doing your
thing out in Council Bluffs...I'm even willing to consider the other
side of the river!
- Any major changes to the area?
- Where's the best internet access?
- Are there any projects that OMG is working on these days as a group?
- Any goals that we're working toward?

You folks and our little club are about the only thing I've missed while
in Japan (no, really). I look forward to hanging out with you all again.

--
-Travis

Eric J. Kaplan

Oct 8, 2016, 7:04:08 AM10/8/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Welcome back!

A few changes:
- of course, we moved
- our weeknights are Tuesday and Thursday
- most weekend time is Saturday

The Power Wheels car is our biggest group project. Others still pop up periodically. Probably our biggest "thing" otherwise is outreach. We have a booth at about 4-5 regular annual events now, not counting the KC Maker Faire. We also work on our own Omaha Mini Maker Faire.

Benson and Dundee are good neighborhoods. The Blackstine district (Farnham between around 35th to 40th) is really hopping. You can definitely get good value for your money in CB. And there has been huge growth in the areas south of Omaha (Ralston, Bellevue, Gretna, etc) and out west.

I don't know about internet. I assume it's fast everywhere. But I'm also biased towards Cox (free service will do that to you), so I haven't really "shopped around" for it.

Sent from Eric's iPhone
> --
> Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve
>
> Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
> ---

Travis Smith

Oct 8, 2016, 10:36:22 PM10/8/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the location in/near Ralston will have to factor into my choice of home this time around.  Looking forward to seeing the space, and I'm glad its so close to the highway.

Are the outreach events for membership drives, for education, or for something else?

Interesting that you mention the Farnham area--my first thought was that living somewhere around or in Midtown Crossing would be cool...I've never had the downtown apartment experience.

What is the 'free service' you speak of...perk of your job?

Acknowledging that there are already a lot of programmers in the group, I must say that in the years that I've been away I have not grown in ability to make physical objects.  What I have developed are the abilities to understand Linux and program in Python.  I've also learned a bit about algorithms and machine learning, and want to continue down that route.  If there are software projects or software aspects of projects that people want to work on together, I'm probably going to be game for that.  Perhaps a robot...

Travis

GPG Key: BFEB 7E65 04EB 184B A150 2E2C CC11 933F EE27 D86E

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Jared Wirth

Oct 9, 2016, 10:23:06 AM10/9/16
to OMG Mailing List
Ralston is a great place to live and can be pretty reasonable in price.  My brother lives on 79th and L street which is very much in walking distance from the Makery.

I myself live in Bellevue, which is right by Offut AFB.   A lot of fun when the airshow happens, the planes fly right over my house.   Anywhere in Omaha is pretty easy living you will find.

Ben Hutcheson

Oct 9, 2016, 10:42:36 AM10/9/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
We'll be glad to have you back!

I'm satisfied enough with Council Bluffs that I actually moved to a different house in CB earlier this year.  I benefit from cheap property and vehicle taxes, and the city has enough money to properly plow our streets.  On the other hand, I pay income tax in two states and my friends all make fun of me for living in CB.  If you do look at houses here, as a general guideline, you want to live in a hilly neighborhood where the streets aren't on a grid.  Although I've shopped around quite a bit in the past, I can't really speak to housing in other areas right now.

Cox is the best internet for most of the city.  Once you pick a place to live, it might be worth checking what service CenturyLink offers there, as it could be either faster or more cost-effective, although I'm not sure their customer service is as good.

Omaha as a whole hasn't changed much that I've noticed, although it's hard to observe slow change.  I'll be curious to hear your take on it.

The Makery, on the other hand, has changed a ton (for the better).  You'll be impressed.

Kevin Fusselman

Oct 9, 2016, 10:49:06 AM10/9/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Also, Eric's comments about "free Internet" hinge on his wife's employee discount.

[...]

James Harr

Oct 10, 2016, 11:11:45 PM10/10/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Just a heads up. Omaha housing market is kind of nuts lately. It takes 45 days to close now and is definitively a seller's market. I'll talk off list more if you're interested.

[...]

Travis Smith

Oct 13, 2016, 2:04:10 AM10/13/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone, looking forward to being back. Yep...looks like real
estate is up a bit. The search is on!