[OMG] Surplus Center in Lincoln

Dan Collins

Jun 16, 2017, 2:13:34 PM6/16/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Going to stop by Surplus Center this afternoon, anything needed for the power wheels car?

Kevin Fusselman

Jun 16, 2017, 3:53:25 PM6/16/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

If you'd find a reasonably priced dpdt switch rated at a hundred amps (continuous) or so, we were looking for a reverser.... We have about 4" cubed to put it in.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Dan Collins

Jun 19, 2017, 3:48:10 PM6/19/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I didn't make it on Friday, planned to go Saturday morning but our campsite was hit by the storm and plans were thrown off.

I looked on their website but didn't see anything that would handle 100 amps DC. There was a reversing solenoid/relay for $40 but I think it had a 5 minute duty cycle.

Maybe some 100+amp starter solenoids like what are used for winches would work?

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Kevin Fusselman

Jun 19, 2017, 8:10:29 PM6/19/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
We had one pretty similar to that a few years back, and in addition to the limited duty cycle (which we are now empirically sure that they really meant), the coil is rated at 12 volts.  In and of itself, that problem would be surmountable, but the coil is tied to common neutral with the load, which makes a real mess when trying to switch 36 volts.

There are 36v (golf cart) reversing relays, but $$$$...

As for separate relays, we've toyed with that, and the duty cycle (For the coil) becomes the issue, and also the potential for "really bad stuff" if one relay fails and not the other at the same time (hint, it might involve shorting out the battery)...

I have a sneaking suspicion that this problem is just expensive to solve correctly...