Liigu esimese lugemata sõnumi juurde

Mike Timm

lugemata,
27. juuni 2016, 14:10:5327.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone happen to have a 1-11/16" deep impact socket? I need to remove a clothes washer tub nut.

Stephen Beck

lugemata,
27. juuni 2016, 18:17:3727.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I can borrow one from work...I also may have a 1 inch drive socket in that size but it's not deep well...

Does it need to be half inch drive?

I have a crescent wrench that opens up that big, would that work?

Steve

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Kevin Fusselman

lugemata,
27. juuni 2016, 18:50:3327.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

If it's like the washer I disassembled, it's gotta be a socket, since there's no good way to hold the drum to apply torque. Thus the "impact rated" requirement...

It's a bit like unbolting the top nut on a car's strut.

Mike Timm

lugemata,
27. juuni 2016, 19:05:1427.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. There is a center piece that produces about 1 1/2" through the center of the nut so I hope deep well does the trick. I went ahead and ordered one off Amazon that should arrive tomorrow since the local stores I called don't stock them. I was out of town last week and of course the thing broke down the day I left so the family has been without a washer for 10 days and my wife is ready to get a new one if I can't get fixed quickly. I would have preferred to borrow, but time is of the essence.

Nate

lugemata,
27. juuni 2016, 19:41:4727.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I'm assuming you checked the cheap sockets at Harbor Freight already?

Kevin Fusselman

lugemata,
27. juuni 2016, 19:44:1727.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I checked that myself (my first thought too), but it looks like most of their "biggest" [size] sets end at 1.5" (and go in 1/8" increments)... Notably that set costs $94 for 10 sockets...

Stephen Beck

lugemata,
27. juuni 2016, 21:12:4927.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

For exotic stuff you would do better in the tool section at Sol's than you would at harbor freight...

Mike Timm

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 12:27:3228.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
No, neither of those places crossed me mind

Mike Timm

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 16:24:0228.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
The socket arrived and is too wide to fit in the open and reach the nut. Unlike all the YouTube videos I can find where the nut is sitting above the basket, mine sits inside of a little cavity.

I tried an adjustable nut wrench, but can't get it secure enough since it is just the tips that are touching. They made this hard to reach.

GE model is GTWN8250D0WS if you have any ideas, they'll be greatly appreciated.
File_001.jpeg
File_000.jpeg

David Knaack

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 16:29:4728.06.16
kuni OMG
How much too wide is it? If you're not especially protective of the socket you could probably turn it down in the lathe. I wouldn't use it to take any truck spindle nuts off after that, but it would be fine for the tub.

Stephen Beck

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 17:10:5128.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I don't even know that I would bother with the lathe if it wasn't at home. Grind the socket down some on the bench grinder and get after it. I could still check with the tool room here at work to see what the outside clearance of what we have is but they are closed for the day. Can check in the morning...

Steve

Mike Timm

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 17:12:5128.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
The sole purpose of this socket is for the tub. I'll have to take the exact measurements, but I'm guessing it'll make it awful thin.

David Knaack

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 17:44:2728.06.16
kuni OMG
Judging by the photo you've got maybe 1/3" clearance between the nut and the crenelated spanner-nut-looking thingy.
Seems like turning or grinding it down should be doable.

Also, you could maybe make a spanner to hold that outer bit and then use a lighter non-impact socket, they are usually thinner and might fit better.

Or if a regular socket fits, just use the impact driver on it. They usually doesn't shatter the first few times. Safety gear as meets your personal risk tolerance level.

Inline image 1

Stephen Beck

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 18:03:1128.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Dave. Just remember that they had to put the thing together at the factory somehow and usually the tools at the factory are not impossibly thin because they want them to last long enough to build a few thousand of these.

Steve

Mike Timm

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 18:23:1828.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll take a look at those options.

Kevin Fusselman

lugemata,
28. juuni 2016, 20:55:4628.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Also, at Menards... The bigger drive might make it  deep enough, even in a "short" socket... Out of stock at Elkhorn.

Mike Timm

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 15:40:2729.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Well, it looks like a deep socket is required. And, the manual saying 1-11/16 was incorrect. The socket in the pic is 1-5/16.

David Knaack

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 15:52:4529.06.16
kuni OMG
Inline image 1

David Knaack

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 15:56:0729.06.16
kuni OMG
Only half kidding. You'd have to have the spanner though.

That's a much smaller socket though, easier to find?

Kevin Fusselman

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 16:50:4629.06.16
kuni OMG

I've actually done the thing that Dave suggests... Big channellocks...

Mike Timm

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 16:50:5829.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Do you think it will clamp down enough to the socket?

Jay Bendon

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 17:03:3729.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
lowes is gonna charge you out the nose for this: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Sunex-Tools-1-2-in-Drive-1-5-16-in-Deep-6-Point-Standard-SAE-Impact-Socket/4374435

Maybe you can find one at harbor freight or an auto parts store.

actually now that i think about it you can probably borrow/rent a set from oriellys.

--Jay

Daniel Pfile

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 17:04:4629.06.16
kuni OMG
If you use a pipe wrench like Dave sent an image of it should, as long as the teeth bite in. The harder you push, the harder it clamps. I've used them to remove stripped bolts several times (without a socket), even using a hammer on the wrench. Channel locks will require a lot of grip strength. Both will destroy the chrome on your socket.

I also found this thing, but it may not be the right part for your washer: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pro-spanner-wrench-tj90tb123a-ap4503397.html

Mike Timm

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 17:17:0229.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Harbor freight deep socket maxes out at 1-1/4. I'm going to check Sol's and O'Reilly.

Stephen Beck

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 17:35:1729.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

See attached photo. Call me when you get tired of looking.

402-689-7140

Steve

IMAG0966.jpg

Mike Timm

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 18:23:2429.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Sol's, O'Reilly, and Northern Tool don't have. Snap On does, but they want $59.

I'll be giving you a call.

--

Russ H

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 20:02:1729.06.16
kuni Omaha Maker Group

I have a 34mm deep impact socket you are welcome to borrow. It's outside diameter is 1.196". It is 1/2 inch drive.

402-346-3841

Russ Halbert

Mark Finley

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 20:22:4729.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
For a spanner on the outer nut -

You can hold a considerable amount of counter-torque with a 1" thick hardwood board spanner

Draw concentric circles around a center mark near one end of the board

Outer circle is to position "pins" to lock into the slots in the outer nut

Use something like a 1/4 20 bolt and grind down the end 1/2 inch  if needed to fit the slots

Cut a square of cardboard like a cereal box to make an imprint of the outer nut - cut a hole for the shaft, hold the cardboard from shifting and tap with a small hammer to make an imprint to use to mark for "pins" to engage the nut

Tape the imprint to the board

Carefully mark with an awl and drill the holes for the "pins" with a drill press and keep the bore tight

Use a holesaw or jigsaw to cut the inner circle to clear the socket.

Use the pipe wrench on socket opposing the braced/clamped wooden spanner

Torque it up and give the pipe wrench a booster smack with a bonkbonk (big hammah)

May the force be ...

.... sufficient

Mike Timm

lugemata,
29. juuni 2016, 21:24:5529.06.16
kuni omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Stephen lent me a 1-5/16 deep socket and that did the trick. Thank you for all the ideas and Stephen for lending the socket.
Vasta kõigile
Vasta autorile
Saada edasi
0 uut sõnumit