Videotape Playback?

Eric J. Kaplan

Jan 27, 2016, 11:04:11 PM1/27/16
to OMG Mailing List
I know this is a long shot, but any chance anyone has the ability to play a Sony Mini DV tape? I think this is like 20 years old, so it may not even have anything of good quality left on it. Ideally, though, I could burn it to DVD or something.

Anyone?

IMG_0281.JPG

Luke Dub

Jan 28, 2016, 12:15:45 PM1/28/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
i just might, will check and let you know

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Sent from Eric's iPhone

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Dan Linder

Jan 28, 2016, 1:41:57 PM1/28/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I have a ~15 year old Sony "Hi-8 / Digital-8" camcorder.  We're these the same as the Mini-DV?

Dan

Sent from my iPad

Eric Kaplan

Jan 28, 2016, 2:25:50 PM1/28/16
to OMG Mailing List
Unfortunately, no.  Hi8 was an analog format, where MinDV was a pure digital format.  It was, in fact, one of the first digital camcorders available without a mortgage payment.  The research team that I worked with during the '96 Olympics had (2), and I borrowed one.

Eric J. Kaplan

The Omaha Maker Group - Explore Science, Technology & Art!
Omaha's Original Makerspace

James Woody

Eric Kaplan

Jan 28, 2016, 2:31:42 PM1/28/16
to OMG Mailing List
Thanks!

Eric J. Kaplan

The Omaha Maker Group - Explore Science, Technology & Art!
Omaha's Original Makerspace

James Woody

Jan 28, 2016, 3:25:07 PM1/28/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I got a response on the Facebook group, copied below.  If you can email me your Point Of Contact info, I'll pass it to her.

Diane Walkowiak I have an old Sony camcorder that uses mini DV tapes. I'd need to dig it up and see if I can still get it charged (and remember how to use it). But I might be able to help out - at least play the tape so you can see if it has anything of quality on it. PM me.

Eric Kaplan

James Woody

Jan 29, 2016, 9:21:04 AM1/29/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
sure thing!  Some of us Lincoln peeps keep a close eye on the email list :)

Keep up the great work!

R/,

Woody