Controlling fan speed with a Ras Pi?

Cheyenne Deal

Aug 30, 2015, 11:29:53 PM8/30/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I am working on a project that I am trying to find a way to create a fan speed controller that is run by a Raspberry Pi. I am currently using a manual variable speed controller but was unable to find anything that would do what I am looking for. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Stephen Beck

Aug 30, 2015, 11:34:10 PM8/30/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I know this is not helpful, but when you say "manual variable speed controller" are you referring to something along the lines of a rheostat?

What kind of fan motor are you using?

Steve

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

2015 Omaha Mini Maker Faire - An event for everyone!
September 19, 2015 - 9a - 5p
Omaha Children's Museum - www.omahamakerfaire.com

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Omaha Maker Group" group.

Cheyenne Deal

Aug 31, 2015, 6:50:40 AM8/31/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I am currently using a 120v blower fan with a manual fan control (Almost Identical http://www.ebay.com/itm/Variable-Fan-Speed-Controller-Control-Exhaust-Inline-Dimmable-Air-Speedster-/231641593467)

David Knaack

Aug 31, 2015, 1:24:47 PM8/31/15
to OMG
How robust of a solution are you looking for?

The simple way is to pull the knob off the speed controller and connect the shaft to a servo driven by the Raspi.

The more robust (no moving parts) way would be to disassemble the speed controller and replace the analog pot with a digital pot and then drive that with the Raspi.

Stephen Beck

Aug 31, 2015, 1:47:30 PM8/31/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Are you wanting to make something that gets feedback from a sensor on the fan or are you just wanting to make something that will take an input electronically instead of turning the knob?

Steve