Oh, hail.

Eric Kaplan

Jun 30, 2017, 9:47:17 AM6/30/17
to OMG Mailing List
So...  anybody experienced with DIY Paintless Dent Repair?  Anybody got the tools to do it?

Eric J. Kaplan

The Omaha Maker Group - Explore Science, Technology & Art!
Omaha's Original Makerspace

Stephen Beck

Jun 30, 2017, 9:56:49 AM6/30/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I have some tools, but am completely inexperienced. I'm About to start learning though!

Steve

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

David Knaack

Jun 30, 2017, 11:47:39 AM6/30/17
to OMG
Yep. Very useful skill, and fairly easy to learn. There are a bunch of great videos on youtube about how to do it. The tools are cheap, you might want to just pick up a set on Amazon, they come in handy often.

I bought these for about $30:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1D1DRM

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BVA1H40

The bridge-type puller is ok. It's a little slow, but also cheap and compact. If you have very many dents you might want a fancier lifter.

And repurposed a small spray bottle for alcohol spray (releases the hot glue).

For the line board (which is more essential than you might expect) you can use a tablet for occasional jobs, but I'd recommend making a dedicated one, extra bright if you will be working outdoors.

Eric Kaplan

Jun 30, 2017, 3:54:02 PM6/30/17
to OMG Mailing List
Cool!  Thanks!

My insurance adjuster is going to look at the dents when he comes out to confirm my windshield needs to be replaced.  Depending on how the numbers fall out, I'll probably end up doing it myself.