Low cost SmartThings temp sensing?

David Knaack

Aug 18, 2016, 11:55:23 AM8/18/16
to OMG
I'd like to add several more temp sensors to my SmartThings network, but SmartThings are expensive. Anyone have ideas for SmartThings-compatible temperature reporting that doesn't cost ~$40 per sensor?

Kevin Fusselman

Aug 18, 2016, 12:26:41 PM8/18/16
to OMG

Nope. If you find one, let me know too?

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

David Knaack

Aug 18, 2016, 1:24:33 PM8/18/16
to OMG
Maybe a custom solution. These Arduino-compatibleish controllers with on-board WiFi are about $5, or $1.75 direct from China (5 from DX with a breadboard breakout):

And there is an existing working project that does temp sensing using ThingSpeak and a one-wire digital temp sensor:

SmartThings provides an API for integrating LAN connected non-SmartThings devices:

So it would be possible to update the above temp sensor project to back-end to a Smartthings custom device handler. Probably a slightly modified version of the example project would do it.

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Nate

David Knaack

Aug 18, 2016, 3:54:28 PM8/18/16
to OMG
Cool. I ordered a couple to try out.

Anyone interested in doing a hack session one evening to get them going?

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Nate <nat...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Nate

Aug 18, 2016, 3:56:03 PM8/18/16
to OMG
Yes!  very interested.  I have a handful of sensors and tiny circuit boards purchased for just such an occasion.

[...]

Biagio Arobba

Aug 18, 2016, 4:11:14 PM8/18/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in this, too.

I was talking with David Castilon just last week (he came to the OMG a few times) about... I want to say it's the Omega2 computer for $5. He has one. I wanted to get a bunch (or maybe Raspberry Pi Zero), then add a temperature probe and then put them all the rooms in my house (possibly at the bottom and top of the rooms). They can simply broadcast the temperature readings over the network (via UDP for example) and I can use a computer, or another Omega2 to collect and do something with the data like forward to a server somewhere for logging.

So... I am glad to know about this SmartThings API, in case it will help. (I like to program.)

Is anyone interested in talking (or hacking) some more at one of the open build days? Tue/Thu?

[...]

David Knaack

Aug 18, 2016, 4:30:26 PM8/18/16
to OMG
The Pi Zero is cheap, but I'm not sure the low power mode is suitable for long-term battery or solar operation. It's a little heavy for that.

If someone has some spare time to hack around with the SmartThings API they have an online IDE for creating custom device handlers:

with a bunch of example templates for real devices. Looks like custom devices are well-supported, it takes like 30 seconds to run through the wizard and build the boilerplate code with places to fill in custom stuff.

Would be good to see if we could simulate a LAN-connected device through to a custom device handler. There are probably examples of the data format the device needs to send.

David Knaack

Aug 21, 2016, 2:12:30 PM8/21/16
to OMG
It might make sense to write this as a generic multi-channel environmental sensor with built-in support for some common I2C-connected sensors, including a generic A2D.

That would give us a cheap wireless device that can sense one or more values and report them to SmartThings where their standard tools can be used to react to it.

I played with their IDE long enough put together a simple SmartThings Device Hander with temp/battery reporting.

Then I poked around and found that there are some reusable 'capability' modules that you can plug in for standard behaviors, so I should update it to use that:

Next piece to explore is a SmartApp that can handle connecting the devices to route the data from the device to the DeviceHandler. They have a detailed guide for that for LAN connected devices (devices that don't have their own cloud back-end):

There is a guide for cloud-connected devices too, but that creates additional dependencies without any benefit for simple sensors like this.

The simplest path may be to use the Arduino ThingShield pieces as template. Working code is available for the SmartApp, Device Handler, SmartThings ThingShield library, and Arduino sketch.

The shield itself is $35, but if the SmartThings Arduino Library code (link on that SmartThings Arduino page) can be adapted to run directly on the ESP board (it is more or less Arduino compatible, but has some hardware differences that might need to be worked around) that would get the hardware up and running as an under-$5 device with very little discovery and development effort on the SmartThings side.

Nate

Aug 26, 2016, 11:14:05 AM8/26/16
to OMG
I just ordered a NodeMCU dev board and 10 more ESP8266 modules...
I'm getting ready to build one of these to communicate using MQTT from the sensors to my Openhab install.  I think that this deviation from your smart things builds will still have enough paralells that I'd like to join you on your chosen build night... if you have one in mid to late Septermber... when my stuff all gets here.  :)

Getting excited about this.

[...]

David Knaack

Aug 26, 2016, 1:27:17 PM8/26/16
to OMG
Awesome! This will be pretty cool.

[...]

David Knaack

Aug 31, 2016, 7:53:38 PM8/31/16
to OMG
Today I received the ESP8266 boards I ordered. These are $5 ESP-12-F modules with adapter boards from DX:

http://www.dx.com/p/esp-202-esp8266-serial-wi-fi-wireless-transceiver-module-w-pcb-antenna-adapter-board-406606

Next I'll probably work on getting them working with the Arduino IDE.

I also got a couple of these 240-930 MHz transceiver modules because the Si4431 chip is a ridiculous amount of awesome to stuff into one tiny chip:

It does require an additional MCU to do anything, but adding $2.50 ATTiny85 gives a feature-rich transceiver for under $10. Might be a good choice for wide-area sensing where a WiFi range will be a problem.

David Knaack

Sep 6, 2016, 1:34:46 PM9/6/16
to OMG
Got the ESP8266 boards hooked up and running the Adafruit Arduino-based example. Very easy, and very cost-effective WiFi-enabled MCU.

I didn't try the Lua stuff, it's probably worth investigating to see if it would be easier to use that than Arduino. There are some published apps using UPnP that would probably cover the bulk of the requirements for interacting with SmartThings. Lua is probably a bit better suited for this sort of application than Arduino.

Next steps are to run through the SmartThings LAN connected device documentation to get the server-side software set up, and to get the ESP8266 set up with an app that can handle UPnP discovery and temp sensor reading.

Nate

Sep 6, 2016, 2:53:16 PM9/6/16
to OMG
I messed around with my ESP8266 this weekend also.  I had an Arduino UNO and the example I was following wants a Nano.  It appears to have taken the sketch, but without any sensors... its kind of useless at this point.   I'll be getting my other boards in a week or so.   Did you document the process Dave?

[...]

David Knaack

Sep 6, 2016, 2:59:36 PM9/6/16
to OMG
There wasn't anything to document really, I just followed the Adafruit walkthru:

They also have an interesting example for publishing sensor results that might be a useful reference:

[...]

David Knaack

Sep 7, 2016, 2:22:34 PM9/7/16
to OMG
Thoughts from a little more research:

I'm looking at SmartThings integration just because it's the HA platform I have, I don't have any opinions about it's merits relative to other options. I see that others (including Nate) are using MQTT as a method of integrating various devices, including ESP8266, with other platforms. According to comments from other developers it's much easier to work with MQTT than the UPnP stuff that SmartThings uses. Looks like a good way to go.

Second, while SmartThings supports UPnP so that devices can easily discover each other, UPnP is not required. I'm OK with that, I don't mind having my hub address hardcoded.

Here is a project that implements an ESP8266 temp and contact sensor on SmartThings without the complication of UPnP:

(I've forked it from the author's github, he's pulled it from the net in the past, and I don't want it to disappear).

I figure I'll try that before I get into service location support, since I don't currently care about that feature.

David Knaack

Sep 13, 2016, 3:26:07 PM9/13/16
to OMG

Sweet, good thing it's out before I bought a bunch of the older version.

http://hackaday.com/2016/09/05/new-part-day-the-esp32-has-been-released/

Nate

Sep 20, 2016, 8:41:15 AM9/20/16
to OMG
My AA battery holders, and other parts have all arrived.  I'm ready to begin assembling and testing my sensors.  I'm going to plan to be at the space tonight to get started.