Help w/ 3D printing projects

Nathan Schulte

Oct 10, 2016, 2:48:45 PM10/10/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I'm looking to 3D print a plastic gear to replace a reduction gear in my
coffee grinder that has some bad teeth. [1] I've never done this
before, but I'm familiar with the CAD concepts and have seen the printer
in use. Help with the following would be fantastic:

- capturing the design; I'm told Eric has a slick real-world 3D
capture tool based off of the Kinect; that sounds awesome!
- configuring the design for print/commanding the printer
- material selection/printing recommendations

Coincidentally, a friend of mine is interested in help with the same
things; he'd like to 3D print a few pieces for his a Halloween costume.
He initially asked me about DoSpace, but I told him I might know of
something better... :)

How does the equipment and materials at DoSpace compare with what you
guys prefer/use at the space?

We'd like to just come down and start tinkering around on these
projects, if someone familiar with the printer or software would be
around to answer questions or help with the specifics.

--
Nate

[1] If you know of a better way to repair this, I'm all ears! I'm open
to the idea that repairing the existing gear will fare better than
printing a new one.

Jared Wirth

Oct 10, 2016, 3:09:38 PM10/10/16
to OMG Mailing List
If you can get me the gear, I can design and print that out for you.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

Eric Kaplan

Oct 10, 2016, 3:20:57 PM10/10/16
to OMG Mailing List
For something like a gear, I would suggest we create it in SolidWorks using measurements from the existing gear.  The 3D scanning is awesome, but won't provide the accuracy necessary for a gear.  And a gear is something that's pretty easy to replicate.  There are also a number of gear-generators out there on the web, too, if the geometry is complex.

We have ABS and PLA for our printers.  There are obviously a lot more materials out there.  ABS is probably a good choice.

I'd be happy to walk you through the processes.  I'll be at the space on Tuesday evening, and most-likely on Saturday.

Eric J. Kaplan

The Omaha Maker Group - Explore Science, Technology & Art!
Omaha's Original Makerspace

Nathan Schulte

Oct 10, 2016, 3:57:39 PM10/10/16
On 10/10/2016 02:09 PM, Jared Wirth wrote:
> If you can get me the gear, I can design and print that out for you.

A picture of the gear train can be seen in the Amazon reviews; lots of
others have this issue too, and wind up just throwing the thing out
because Bodum doesn't care!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3PGICZAXORIPU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0043095WW#R3PGICZAXORIPU

On 10/10/2016 02:20 PM, Eric Kaplan wrote:
> For something like a gear, I would suggest we create it in SolidWorks
> using measurements from the existing gear. The 3D scanning is awesome,
> but won't provide the accuracy necessary for a gear. And a gear is
> something that's pretty easy to replicate. There are also a number of
> gear-generators out there on the web, too, if the geometry is complex.
>
> We have ABS and PLA for our printers. There are obviously a lot more
> materials out there. ABS is probably a good choice.
>
> I'd be happy to walk you through the processes. I'll be at the space on
> Tuesday evening, and most-likely on Saturday.

I'll see if I can stop in Tuesday night then. I'll bring the gear and
some measurements, at least, if not some kind of drawing.

--
Nate

Jared Wirth

Oct 10, 2016, 4:02:16 PM10/10/16
to OMG Mailing List
Right on.   THat was exactly my process, except Inventer fusion as opposed to Solidworks.

Kevin Fusselman

Oct 10, 2016, 4:03:40 PM10/10/16
to OMG Mailing List
The gear probably can't be duplicated from that photo alone; Do you still have the gear-bits around?

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Nathan Schulte

Oct 10, 2016, 4:14:57 PM10/10/16
On 10/10/2016 03:03 PM, Kevin Fusselman wrote:
> The gear probably can't be duplicated from that photo alone; Do you
> still have the gear-bits around?

Of course! I just wanted to share so folks knew what I was dealing
with. I can't recall off hand which gear is broken, but it's one of the
two. I have to take the thing apart again yet.

--
Nate

David Knaack

Oct 10, 2016, 5:06:46 PM10/10/16
to OMG
Might be worth checking Surplus Shed's Gear Finder: http://www.surplusshed.com/gears.cfm
Sometimes they'll have what you need for few cents plus a bit of postage.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Nathan Schulte <nmsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/10/2016 02:09 PM, Jared Wirth wrote:
> If you can get me the gear, I can design and print that out for you.

A picture of the gear train can be seen in the Amazon reviews; lots of others have this issue too, and wind up just throwing the thing out because Bodum doesn't care!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3PGICZAXORIPU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0043095WW#R3PGICZAXORIPU

On 10/10/2016 02:20 PM, Eric Kaplan wrote:
For something like a gear, I would suggest we create it in SolidWorks
using measurements from the existing gear.  The 3D scanning is awesome,
but won't provide the accuracy necessary for a gear.  And a gear is
something that's pretty easy to replicate.  There are also a number ofMight be