Space cleaning today

James Harr

Jan 17, 2015, 8:59:51 PM1/17/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone who pitched in to clean up the space today. Looks fantastic.

http://imgur.com/a/78ova

- New whiteboard for 3d printer / laser cutter room.
- PCs on workbenches are mounted to the wall. More area for projects.
- Chemical shelf (paint, lubricant, solvents, propane, HCl) is now a chemical cabinet. It's also sorted.
- An old plastic shelf that was "the corner where no one goes anymore" has been revitalized and cleaned up. Freed up quite a bit of floor space and we rediscovered some tools & materials that were forgotten. Side note -- I think the wall behind that shelf could use a quick cleaning -- we also discovered some gunk from the previous tenant's kitchen exhaust hood behind that shelf.

Next on the agenda:
- Storage shed out back for lesser used / big things.
- Rebuilding the main work bench with a full peg board on the wall, better tool hangers.
- Purging some of the worse-for-wear tools and purchasing a proper set of certain things (IE - sockets). There's a short list on one white board in the
- Small, power efficient, reliable file server at the makery running owncloud. Dropbox has served us well, but we've maxed out the quota several times and we could actually use a local file server for a few things.

Again, thanks for all those who have pitched in in the last week or so to clean up the space.

--
^[:wq^M

David Knaack

Jan 26, 2015, 6:53:40 PM1/26/15
to OMG
Small, power efficient, reliable file server at the makery running owncloud

Do we have any movement on this?

Anyone have some hardware they want to tag for it? Or do we want to buy a new box?

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

2015 Omaha Mini Maker Faire - An event for everyone!
September 19, 2015 - 9a - 5p
Omaha Children's Museum - www.omahamakerfaire.com

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Omaha Maker Group" group.

Brandon Norris

Jan 26, 2015, 7:04:16 PM1/26/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
We did take down the rompr server, as it seemed to be locked up and i dont believe we were using it for anything anymore.
Its an intel atom with 2Gb ram. This *may* be enough to run owncloud, were not sure yet.

James points out it probably needs a new hard drive, as were not sure of the status of the one we put in it. And decent sized SSDs are becoming pretty affordable. I think he has some opinions on what would be good for it as well, I havent looked at them recently enough to guess.

If you have something better, or a single 4Gb stick of DDR to spare, that would be nice.

-Brandon

David Knaack

Jan 26, 2015, 7:16:38 PM1/26/15
to OMG
I have a couple of laptop drives that could go in there (one is the old MMM drive). Not big for fast, but free.

Brandon Norris

Jan 26, 2015, 7:27:13 PM1/26/15
to OMG
We put a 320G drive in it, but the issue is that its used, as Im sure yours are. we just dont want a drive to fail in a couple months and lose all the stuff, and have to redo everything.

Kevin Fusselman

Jan 26, 2015, 8:01:50 PM1/26/15
to OMG

Could you use an SD card to boot, and store the data on whatever? The data has to be backed up anyhow, that'd be way less effort to rebuild than the system itself...

Steve Sanders

Jan 27, 2015, 10:01:17 AM1/27/15
to Omaha Maker Group
I have a 320G SATA drive sitting around that you could use.  It's old but it hasn't been used very much - you could RAID1 that with your current drive.  I also have a couple old mini towers gathering dust.  I could probably part with one of them.

Dave Thacker

Jan 27, 2015, 12:18:51 PM1/27/15
to omaha-maker-group
2TB WD Blue (Desktop Grade) 44.99 ea
2TB WD Red (NAS Grade) 95.79 ea

1 minute of shopping on the big A for these prices

If the data matters, let's not screw around, just get the drives.  I will contribute.

DT
Dave Thacker
SysAdmin, DBA, Postmaster, Maker, Odd Jobs

David Knaack

Jan 27, 2015, 1:03:38 PM1/27/15
to OMG
I'm kind of on board with this. I don't know how much data we're thinking about hosting here, but at under $50 for a new warrantied drive, I can't see much down-side, assuming the server box has sufficient memory. Enough memory is probably the higher priority.

James Harr

Jan 27, 2015, 3:35:05 PM1/27/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
How much do we plan to store on this thing? TBH, I'm in favor of putting an SSD in just to eliminate a moving component. Less storage, but less susceptible to failure. Just forces us not to be data pack rats.
^[:wq^M

Kevin Fusselman

Jan 27, 2015, 3:37:10 PM1/27/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Or be less wealthy data packrats... 500gb SSDs are well within "reasonable" now... (under $200)

Ben Hutcheson

Jan 27, 2015, 4:20:27 PM1/27/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Well, we're talking mainly about replacing DropBox.  I don't know how much data we've got at the moment, but it's something like 5-10 GB; even if we wind up using 10x the space once the data limit is removed, that's not much capacity.  The other goal is storing drivers and software installers we use frequently - that's probably 10-15 GB extra.

I'm not convinced the SSD is necessary; I vote (and will pitch in a couple bucks) to buy a commercial/NAS grade spinning drive.  But I also don't really want to administer this thing, so I'll defer to James if he's willing to set it up and keep it running.  In either case, if we keep the space requirements reasonable I'd probably be willing to dedicate a chunk of personal drive space at home to a continuous backup.

tavshed

Jan 27, 2015, 4:26:57 PM1/27/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I have a 128GB Crucial SSD I can donate. It was in a rarely used MacBook.

- Mike

David Knaack

Jan 27, 2015, 4:38:20 PM1/27/15
to OMG
One of the issues I had with owncloud when I was running it was that indexing files was slow and impacted performance. An SSD would probably fix that and also make the importance of having enough memory less of an issue.

A free SSD is about the best option I've heard. 100GB is going to be more than enough, unless someone is looking to host a video collection or something.

Brandon Norris

Jan 27, 2015, 5:03:14 PM1/27/15
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I agree, we shouldnt need a whole lot of data, and a free 128GB SSD sounds good to me.
The little pc at the makery I was talking about only has room for a laptop size drive anyway.
If someone really wants more storage, we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

David Knaack

Jan 27, 2015, 5:30:08 PM1/27/15
to OMG
Ok, unless anyone has major objections, lets go with the SSD. If we need more space we can always drop another bulk storage drive in later.

What can we get to put it in? Give it a try with the rompr box to start with? It's nice and small. I don't think it takes much processing power so it should be ok.