Memory foam block suggestions

Dan Linder

Dec 21, 2017, 7:52:14 AM12/21/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Help! :)

My 6th grade daughter is fairly creative and wants to do a craft project centered around a memory foam cube, roughly 8" to 10" on a side.   We brainstormed gluing two thiner sheets together to get the thickness, but the way she wants to use it the texture and look need to be the same on all sides. (Her requirement)

Anyone have any sources I should check with?

Thanks,
DanL

--
***************** ************* *********** ******* ***** *** **
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    (Who can watch the watchmen?)
    -- from the Satires of Juvenal

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them."
    -- Isaac Asimov (Author)

andrew....@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2017, 9:17:08 AM12/21/17
to Omaha Maker Group
Would a miter cut along the edges suffice? That should provide the same texture on all the faces of the cube, with (hopefully) only minimally perceptible seams at the edges.

hutche...@gmail.com

Dec 21, 2017, 9:58:11 AM12/21/17
to Dan Linder, omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I don’t think I’ve ever come across a chunk of memory foam quite that big – even foam mattresses usually only have a few inches of memory foam over normal open-cell foam. You might find a pillow with a thick enough section to cut a suitable cube out, but I think you’d wind up on the smaller side of what you’re asking for.

It looks like you could get one custom-sized here, although the price jumps quite alarmingly from an 8” cube to a 10” cube. I’m assuming there are other sources if you shop around; that was just the first result I found that looked promising.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Dan Collins

Dec 21, 2017, 5:06:16 PM12/21/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
How about the foam blocks they use for jump pits at trampoline parks? The largest I'm seeing for most of those are 8 inch. Maybe check with the local places or contact a supplier to see if they'd ship you one as a sample.

http://www.trampolineswarehouse.com/product/foam-pits-gymnastic-trampoline-skateboard-pits-children-playhouse-protection-foam-cubesblocks-68-pcs-8x8x8-charcoal/

You could also try looking for a large foam ball you could cut down into a cube.

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Dan Linder

Dec 21, 2017, 9:48:07 PM12/21/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Good ideas, thanks Deb!

Dan

Christopher Cashell

Dec 27, 2017, 12:31:37 AM12/27/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Does it have to be memory foam?  Can you offer any other specifics or requirements other than the size?

If styrofoam would work, you can find blocks in the right size on Amazon (http://amzn.to/2leL7L0) and others.

Alternately, again depending on the foam properties you need, you could potentially build a mold (plastic lined cardboard box?) and use some expanding spray foam.  That stuff's useful for a ton of stuff (examples: https://www.familyhandyman.com/diy-advice/12-brilliant-uses-for-spray-foam-that-will-blow-your-mind/view-all/).

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Christopher

Dan Linder

Dec 27, 2017, 8:29:05 AM12/27/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chris.  The idea she's working on is basically a "stress pillow" of sorts, so it'll need to be pliable and resume it's original shape when she's done "stressing". :)

But I have a friend who's done some great D&D craft work using various foam components and they turned out great so I can vouch for it's flexible usability.

Dan