Toolboxes?

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 14, 2014, 9:19:26 PM4/14/14
to Omaha Maker Group
Does anyone have suggestions for a toolbox such as this?

Durability and weight are paramount, and cost is (obviously) a consideration.

I particularly like the pockets, as well as the space below the lower platform.

Wheels are discouraged for weight purposes. Softside bags are welcome, as tools are pretty tough.

Thoughts?

Jay Bendon

Apr 14, 2014, 9:29:56 PM4/14/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
i love pelican.

Used this for my travel kit for years.  I got a bulk discount when i bought these for my team at work but you can still have one for less than that gator.

Inline image 1Inline image 2

--Jay

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Eric J. Kaplan

Apr 14, 2014, 9:31:34 PM4/14/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Would it be feasible to find a bag that you like, then making pallet inserts to fit? Maybe use Sintra or coroplast for the pallets?

Sent from Eric's iPhone

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 14, 2014, 10:07:27 PM4/14/14
to Omaha Maker Group
Pelican is sort of the gold standard, with the only downsides being that it costs and weighs about as much.  Their stuff is absolutely amazing, though.

As for the DIY pallets, it seems like a good idea, though without knowing exactly what tools I'd have over the years, the "custom" aspect is probably just a DIY clone of someone else's layout.  Any ideas for how one might go about assembling them?  Vinyl and rivets is how a Jensen-brand one works...

Nate

Apr 14, 2014, 10:09:10 PM4/14/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Years ago I picked up two aluminum cases, knockoffs...$20 each, still have them, working great...

Eric J. Kaplan

Apr 14, 2014, 10:10:53 PM4/14/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
What about making your own grid-it system of elastic bands?

Sent from Eric's iPhone

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 15, 2014, 12:02:00 AM4/15/14
to Omaha Maker Group

Maybe. My only complaint about grid-it is the fidlyness of putting things back... I'm bad enough at that as is... I don't need any excuses...

Rob Townley

Apr 17, 2014, 9:24:25 PM4/17/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

Velcro "belts" that stick to edge and other dividers providing some on-the-fly reconfiguration.