NijaFlex!

dono vada

Mar 4, 2014, 5:11:28 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Howdy All,

Would anyone else be interested in flexible 3D printing material?  I think it could make for some really cool projects!

http://learn.adafruit.com/3d-printing-with-ninjaflex?view=all

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1690#Description

I believe the printer at the Makery would be capable, even if we had to print a spring loaded extruder upgrade.

Not sure if it is in the budget/how all this works; but I'd be willing to throw $5 in the pot toward a spool of the black, (and probably could be talked into the white if need be).

Cheers,

- Dave

PS - Also, if we order from Adafruit on Wednesdays, they have discount codes given out during their broadcasts. 10% off the last I saw, FWIW.

Eric Kaplan

Mar 4, 2014, 5:21:56 PM3/4/14
to OMG Mailing List
Wow - $50 for 1/2-kg?  That's pricey, IMHO.

Regardless, "how this all works" is exactly what you are doing - propose a purchase and suggest a contribution, and everyone who wants "in" commits to it.  The burden will be on you to collect from the folks that chip in, as well as to actually place the order (unless someone else also volunteers to do so).

I would suggest that something specialized like this have some "supervision" so that it only gets loaded into the printer for projects that specifically can benefit from these properties.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

Eric J. Kaplan

dono vada

Mar 4, 2014, 5:44:49 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Agreed; $55.82, (shipped and assuming 10% discount), is steep and sadly the best deal I am aware of currently.

Works out to be roughly $3.17/oz...

The capability to print bumpers, gaskets, watchbands, phone cases and "squeeze fit/hold" parts, etc. would be really neat.

I'd be open to any suggestions on how to make this a supervisable asset at the Makery.

Brandon Norris

Mar 4, 2014, 5:57:33 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Yea, that is pretty expensive. But its also really neat.

The printer at the makery already has a spring loaded extruder on it, so that shouldnt be a proble,
I would like to try printing some small wheels out of pla, and tires for them out of this.

Im down for $5 if we get enough people.

We would have to be careful not to leave it in the printer, or else someone might might accidentally use it for regular stuff.

James Harr

Mar 4, 2014, 5:58:11 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about our capability to extrude it, but I'm in for $10 of a sample run if we can use it.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

^[:wq^M

dono vada

Mar 4, 2014, 6:10:20 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, we are already 36% of the way funded!

Brandon, can the extruder hit 225C?  Supposedly that is what the "midnight" color needs for adhesion.

This could make for a very interesting Fur Lumber Rally next year.  =)

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

Mar 4, 2014, 6:11:36 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

I'm in for $10.

dono vada

Mar 4, 2014, 6:17:40 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Approaching critical mass!

Brandon Norris

Mar 4, 2014, 6:18:32 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, 225c should be no problem for the extruder

dono vada

Mar 4, 2014, 6:20:57 PM3/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant!

ninjaflex.png

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

Apr 4, 2014, 8:56:16 AM4/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Where'd we get to on this? I'm still pretty interested.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM, dono vada <dono...@gmail.com> wrote:
Brilliant!

donovada

Apr 4, 2014, 12:53:35 PM4/4/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Ditto!  (Been on the back burner for a bit there)

Currently sitting at $35 out of $56 if I chip in another $5.

62.5% of the funds needed.

I'd even go with the  white filament if that was more attractive/useful to others.  (From what I have read it seems to be a bit more flexible.)

- Dave

Kevin Fusselman

Apr 4, 2014, 1:04:29 PM4/4/14
to Omaha Maker Group

I'm in for 5, if someone can remember to collect from me...

Sarah Edwards

Apr 7, 2014, 11:21:21 AM4/7/14
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, ke...@fusselman.org
Me, too!