problem solvers of OMG

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 19, 2017, 10:28:49 PM10/19/17
to Omaha Maker Group
How would you design a modern bike lock?

Today all bikes lock are easily cut through using an portable angle grinder in seconds if not a few minutes.

Is there a substance that could be impregnated in a Lock or other type of lock that would gum up or break a grinder disk?

Is there a goo or something that you could fill up a hollow u lock with?

Stephen Beck

Oct 19, 2017, 10:56:43 PM10/19/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
A more realistic approach would be to coat the lock in a plastic like substance that gives off the equivalent of tear gas under heat. This has been used in practical application in a variety of safes.

Steve

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Kevin Fusselman

Oct 19, 2017, 11:05:16 PM10/19/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense, though unlike a safe, a bike lock is typically outside where tear gas would be less of an issue, particularly for a prepared attacker.

Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Eric J. Kaplan

Oct 20, 2017, 4:56:29 AM10/20/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that any material or method that would result in stopping a grinder probably weighs too much to be practical for bike riding and/or costs many times more than the bike itself.

Sent from Eric's iPhone

Travis Smith

Oct 20, 2017, 7:02:27 AM10/20/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Gunpowder?

On Oct 19, 2017 9:28 PM, "Patrick Pecoraro" <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 20, 2017, 7:15:44 AM10/20/17
to Omaha Maker Group
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to omaha-maker-gr...@googlegroups.com.

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 20, 2017, 7:19:25 AM10/20/17
to Omaha Maker Group
So for Eric the really expensive locks can weigh upwards or 3KG.

What about some free spinning rods in the core of the lock would that slow down the grinder and saws? I remember seeing something like this for protesters to use when they chain them selves to things. Or what about a composite material. I remember when I was still at OMG that the epoxy that covered ICs would dull the blade on the mill when I was trying to decap them.

Kevin Fusselman

Oct 20, 2017, 7:27:00 AM10/20/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

That's part of the upside to abrasive grinding and cutting, though... Dulling isn't really a thing...

At some point, is it like a door lock where the lock and door are stronger than the adjacent wall, so folks just go around?

Eric J. Kaplan

Oct 20, 2017, 8:12:02 AM10/20/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
That was the downfall of The Club steering wheel lock. It’s easier to cut the steering wheel and slide the Club off.

Sent from Eric's iPhone

hutche...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2017, 11:19:58 AM10/20/17
to Patrick Pecoraro, Omaha Maker Group

Remember, locks keep honest people honest. There’s no kind of lock that can’t be defeated if someone wants your bike and has planned ahead to bring the right set of tools.

  • Cable locks probably can’t be cut with a grinder, but they can be cut with hand tools.
  • U-locks probably can’t be cut with hand tools, but they can be cut with a grinder.
  • Bigger U-locks might take too long with a grinder, but they can be broken with a scissor jack. Something composite would be especially susceptible to this, or possibly even to a hammer; most composites are pretty brittle compared to steel.

Maybe the best option would be a hybrid approach – think about how chainsaw chaps work, with a loose layer of Kevlar or something that’ll jam up a spinning tool. Start with a U-lock too chunky for bolt cutters, and wrap it in a Kevlar sleeve to deter a grinder.

While you’re pondering this, though, I think you’re being a little too cavalier about weight. It’s true that there are some pretty heavy bike locks out there, but those are the kind of locks a lot of serious riders recommend leaving in place at wherever you lock your bike most frequently. That 3-kg lock negates a big chunk of the difference between a $400 bike and a $1,000 bike, and a quick browse of the Kryptonite website shows a handful of chain locks which are heavier than some complete bicycles. If you have to lock your bike somewhere you’re not comfortable with, there’s a lot to be said for just riding a cheap bike for those trips.

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 20, 2017, 12:15:46 PM10/20/17
to Omaha Maker Group
This is more of a though exercise and an interesting material engineering problem for me, I don't plan on building one out. My thought with the goo was that it could coat the abrasive so thats its now to slick to do anything. Or gummed up.

Mark Finley

Oct 20, 2017, 12:44:38 PM10/20/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Pecoraro
Taking a different route than improved materials might look like this-

To enhance a traditional bike lock to deter tampering/cutting-

Small motion detector triggered device with three led lights and tiny speaker

Three or more stages of deterrence when motion is detected (or other trigger)

1)  displays a green light and slow flashing yellow light with a mid frequency beep 1/sec

Audio softly says - “Attention Security Alert” in three languages (2-3 seconds)

If motion continues

2) double beep a bit louder
Yellow flashes quicker and green goes out

audio a bit louder - “Caution- High Voltage Security System is Armed and Charging - keep away!”

“Charging Status 20 thousand volts..... 30 thousand volts ... 40 thousand volts”

3) lights go batshit flashing red

Audio full volume “Danger - Ready to Fire at 90 thousand Volts!  Stand Clear 5 meters minimum!

Yada, yada, yada

More escalation of warnings lights and ominous audio sound effects to invoke fear of a taser-like experience

It wouldn’t foil a smart and determined thief but as others point out, no system has yet.

It’s also a toothless tiger and that alone would preclude mass production as word would spread of that deception

Kevin Fusselman

Oct 20, 2017, 12:57:26 PM10/20/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Pecoraro

As far as thought exercise goes, that's an awesome idea.

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 20, 2017, 1:06:55 PM10/20/17
to Omaha Maker Group

Sarah Edwards

Oct 20, 2017, 9:24:37 PM10/20/17
to Omaha Maker Group
https://lifehacker.com/5942301/the-proper-way-to-lock-your-bicycle I wonder if it comes down to placement in some ways. Like a car with a boot... sure, you could get it off eventually.

I like the idea of a Kevlar jacket, though. That seems like it has promise.

I may buy a skunk lock, when they are commercially available. The price is a bit steep compared to competition.