Fwd: [Bulk] Fw: Register now: International Social Robotics Conference in Kansas City

Jeff

Oct 17, 2016, 4:48:15 PM10/17/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is interested, there's a social-robotics conference in Kansas

Jeff

First rule
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Begin forwarded message:

FYI - for computer geeks and robotics from nearby KU.

Register now: International Social Robotics Conference in Kansas City.
Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your browser.

Register now: International Social Robotics Conference in Kansas City

Register Here

Tell a Colleague

ICSR 2016—
Special Registration Discount Available until Oct. 25

We are proud to announce Kansas City will host the 8th International Conference on Social Robotics, which will be held in the United States for the first time.

Tuesday, Nov. 1–Thursday, Nov. 3, 2016
Kansas City Marriott Country Club Plaza
4445 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64111
Conference Website   Program   Fees & Registration

This conference draws experts from around the world and will focus on the interactions between robots and humans as robots become increasingly integrated into our society. The theme of this year's event is "Sociorobotics." During this three-day event, you will experience:

•  Nearly 100 sessions presenting cutting edge robotics research in topics such as Learning and Behavior, Personality and Behavior, Cognition, Trust and Deception, Emotion, Movement and Motion, Faces, Arms, Hands, Touch, Vision, Speech, Autism, Children, Elderly, Service Robotics, Companion Robots, HRI, and Smart Homes.

•  Three workshops: The Synthetic Method in Social Robotics (SMSR 2016); Social Robots: A Tool to Advance Interventions for Autism; and Using Social Robots to Improve the Quality of Life in the Elderly

•  Plus robot design competitions, social events (for humans, not robots), keynote speakers presenting world-class research in social robotics, and more.

If you're looking forward to a future where a robot fetches your slippers, this event is for you! Visit http://icsr2016.engr.ku.edu for complete information.

Sponsored by:

KU School of Engineering

Softbank

Springer

Interested in sponsoring and reaching this international audience? Contact us!
Dr. Arvin Agah, General Conference Chair, at ag...@ku.edu.

The University of Kansas and the KU Alumni Association are dedicated to protecting your privacy.
If you wish to unsubscribe from this list, click here. To update your record, click here.

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, I...@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.

Rustin L Haase

Oct 17, 2016, 6:09:41 PM10/17/16
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com

The "First Rule of Robotics" presented by Isaac Asimov is an interesting idea, but it is not rooted in any kind of authority.  People kill each other with their bare hands, hammers, machine guns, trucks, daisy-cutters, and atom bombs.  There is no good reason not to add robots to that list and no effective way to prevent it.  Besides, bomb carrying robots proved quite useful for taking out a recent cop-killer terrorist and should prove useful in the future in similar ways.  There's always a soul behind the machine and that is where the control, prudence, and discipline belongs, not restrictions on the devices.  I want the "good guys" to have access to the full spectrum of tools while opposing the anarchists and tyrants who most certainly won't have any restrictions in their tool-set. Asimov writes fiction and fiction by definition isn't real.  He wrote lots of cool stuff that gets you thinking, but I wouldn't take his writing too seriously.

All that said, THE ROBOTS ARE COMING!!!.  We can adapt and learn to master them or get run over by those other souls who do adapt.  Resistance is futile. (a toung-in-cheek reference to a piece of FICTION :-) )  The conference might just be worth attending.  I wish I had the resources to attend.  The more we can learn about robotics, the better off we all will be if we can keep each other away from the dark side. :-)

           ___
          |_|_|
          |_|_|              _____
          |_|_|     ____    |*_*_*|
 _______   _\__\___/ __ \____|_|_   _______
/ ____  |=|      \  <_+>  /      |=|  ____ \
~|    |\|=|======\\______//======|=|/|    |~
 |_   |    \      |      |      /    |    |
  \==-|     \     |  2D  |     /     |----|~~/
  |   |      |    |      |    |      |____/~/
  |   |       \____\____/____/      /    / /
  |   |         {----------}       /____/ /
  |___|        /~~~~~~~~~~~~\     |_/~|_|/
   \_/        |/~~~~~||~~~~~\|     /__|\
   | |         |    ||||    |     (/|| \)
   | |        /     |  |     \       \\
   |_|        |     |  |     |
              |_____|  |_____|
              (_____)  (_____)
              |     |  |     |
              |     |  |     |
              |/~~~\|  |/~~~\|
              /|___|\  /|___|\
             <_______><_______>
stolen from http://www.ascii-code.com/ascii-art/electronics/robots.php

Jared Wirth

Oct 17, 2016, 6:15:18 PM10/17/16
to OMG Mailing List
Who will gladly serve our robotic overlords?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DyxaCYlfg

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC