USB Battery Banks

Kevin Fusselman

Jun 10, 2017, 11:40:03 PM6/10/17
to OMG
My trusty Anker battery bank (13000mah, 2 ports) had a [charge] connector failure, and I sorta murdered it trying to get it open to repair it.  As a consolation prize, I now have several 18650s for another project.

In the meantime, I need a new battery bank.    I'm a big fan of Anker and would buy their stuff again, but am struggling to pick the right feature/price point, given the impending migration to USB-C. I'm heavily invested in Quickcharge stuff, as my wife and I have modern Android (Galaxy) phones, so a battery with at least one QC output would be good; QC input would be better, particularly if the pack was larger, but that makes things expensive fast, and if I'm buying something that's not USB-C, maybe I should go for something cheap and plan on replacing it in a year or 2 with the next round of phones (Our phones now are MicroUSB, but anything we'd buy is likely to be USB-C, it looks like.  Both the Pixels and latest Galaxys are).

Anyone have suggestions and/or prognostications about the demise of MicroUSB?

Dan Linder

Jun 11, 2017, 9:02:59 AM6/11/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have suggestions and/or prognostications
> about the demise of MicroUSB?

As a charging port for a battery pack I hope it sticks around.  I have a plethora of cables to reuse.

I'm certain that USB-C will overtake the device connectors on the next five years now that Intel has opened up the Thunderbolt spec.  Given that it's the same connectors on both ends I world think manufacturers would like to reduce their item count.

Dan

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC