OMG Lights

Mike Timm

Nov 3, 2017, 11:41:27 PM11/3/17
to Omaha Maker Group
I stopped by tonight to get a couple of the zwave switches reconnected to the SmartThings hub and add a new zwave switch to the front room. The Printer Room and Clean Shop switches both reconnected without a problem.

Unfortunately, the new front room switch has escalated past my ability (and bugging Kevin at home) to troubleshoot. After replacing the switch, I tested a few times with switch outside the box and then turned the breaker (11) off.

I pushed the switch in the box and then turned the breaker back on. Lights in clean shop and printer room went on. Went to the front and turned the lights on and the breaker tripped.

Pulled the switch back out of the box and turned breaker on, but it immediately tripped.

Took the breaker out and disconnected wire. Breaker would stay on. Turned breaker off, connected wire, and put breaker back in.

Turned breaker on and immediately tripped. Nice little pop and spark I could see behind breaker since cover was off.

Put the old switch back and breaker immediately tripped. Pop and spark again.

Took the old switch off and made sure none of the wires were touching and breaker immediately tripped. Pop and spark again.

I followed each wire to the conduit and didn’t see any problems.

I have put the cover back on the breaker box, breaker is off, and put switches in box with cover plate. Unfortunately, no lights in front room, printer room, clean shop, and it appears thermostat may be impacted as well.

- Mike

Mike Timm

Nov 5, 2017, 2:44:48 PM11/5/17
to Omaha Maker Group
Grand Master Kevin was able to get the lights working again. We even changed some of the runs so that all the lights can be turned on at the same time!

Come on down and make something - you’ll no longer be conscripted to fix the lighting.

- Mike

Eric J. Kaplan

Nov 5, 2017, 6:03:58 PM11/5/17
to omaha-ma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a bunch to both of you!

Sent from Eric's iPhone
> --
> Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve
>
> Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
>
> www.omahamakergroup.org
> ---

Mike Timm

Nov 5, 2017, 6:15:58 PM11/5/17
to Omaha Maker Group
Kevin did the work and educated me. Much appreciated.

- Mike