IFTTT - Access a URL?

Kevin Fusselman

Jan 1, 2016, 1:26:20 PM1/1/16
to OMG
I'm trying to get IFTTT to connect to "external stuff", and was thinking that it'd be slick if it could just hit a URL for me, as a way to connect it to Perl [or whatever].  Does anyone have experience with, or thoughts about, how this might be accomplished?

I'm pretty set on IFTTT as the front-end, because I don't want to reinvent the "input" side of the wheel, which is already IFTTT based.

David Knaack

Jan 1, 2016, 1:59:30 PM1/1/16
to OMG
They used to have a webhook module that would let you do that, but it disappeared (that's one of the things I don't like about IFTTT, not open enough).

I believe the most common workaround is to use IFTTT to send email to an account monitored by a script which hits your URL.

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit us at the Makery at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC
---

David Knaack

Jan 1, 2016, 2:06:16 PM1/1/16
to OMG
Another option would be to use IFTTT to create an object in an AWS S3 bucket and then set up an AWS Lambda function (free to use) to respond to the S3 event and execute your Java, Node.js, or Python code.

Rob Townley

Jan 2, 2016, 3:51:50 PM1/2/16
to OMG

Kinda kludgy, but could you add a row to a google docs spreadsheet and have perl monitor that same sheet?

Kevin Fusselman

Jan 2, 2016, 5:04:12 PM1/2/16
to OMG

That though had crossed my mind, especially since I've done that in the past.

At this point, I think I have a workable solution... Now I just need to remember what the initial "need" was... :-)

Thanks everyone for your help!

Kevin Fusselman

Feb 1, 2016, 10:20:00 PM2/1/16
to OMG
While this isn't relevant for the initial problem (as that was resolved with IFTTT), I found a "webhook" native to SmartThings (which would have eliminated my need for IFTTT entirely):

(Just posting for posterity and whatnot)

David Knaack

Feb 1, 2016, 10:42:56 PM2/1/16
to OMG
Do we have another sensor we could use with that? Maybe a 'low beer' switch?

Kevin Fusselman

Feb 1, 2016, 10:47:33 PM2/1/16
to OMG
We're currently out of sensors.  Amazon has these though (which I use at home):

The "door" switches have screw terminals inside to attach whatever sort of [Boolean] sensor you see fit...