Setting up study circles and teams

Simon Walker

Jan 10, 2013, 11:59:41 AM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
One of the questions that you may be asking yourself is how will I find like-minded people who share similar ideas with which to work on similar learning design-related problems. From tomorrow (Friday) and over the weekend we invite you to participate in the 'dreambazaar' activity and search for/form a team. However, if you are choosing not to use Cloudworks for this activity, can I suggest that you respond here with the subject line of your discipline and/or problem, and which virtual space you are wishing to use (you can do this even if you are using Cloudworks). Please scan the list before replying in case others have already responded.

Simon Walker

Jan 10, 2013, 2:08:12 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
At the risk of appearing as a total loner seeking company by answering my own posts.... here is my reply!

We are very interested in looking with others at how to teach digital literacy. This is a design problem as curriculum, course and lesson level. Anyone else interested?

Hugues Chicoine

Jan 10, 2013, 2:36:56 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Put Digital Literacy up in bright neon colours and count me in
/HCh

Jane Challinor

Jan 10, 2013, 2:51:54 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a very clear idea of a project as yet, but this is definitely on the right lines for me. I teach a "study skills/intro to academic writing/research skills" module to undergraduates and increasingly I think what I really need to be teaching is digital literacy. So I guess that's me saying "Count me in!"

Jane

Arthur Oglesby

Jan 10, 2013, 2:58:37 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com

YES!!!

My dream is to help design a "Digital Literacy" MOOC that is really MASSIVE (millions or hopefully BILLIONS of participants).

Sorry to be shouting but I am so excited by the MOOC concept, that if properly designed could scale to world changing proportions.

Catherine El-Bez

Jan 10, 2013, 3:19:03 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Simon, Dear all,
I will be very interested to collborate with you on this subject. I was thinking to the same idea this evening in my car !
Because cMOOC can also help participants to develop digital skills, I 'nearly' agree with Arthur concerning the design of a MOOC but with hundred of people should great ;-) !!!

Catherine El-Bez

Ronald Macintrye

Jan 10, 2013, 3:36:13 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Evening all

I am interesting in the confluence between openness and sustainability, though I would also welcome the chance to work on something I am not used to and explore openness in different contexts.

yours

Anne-Mart Olsen

Jan 10, 2013, 3:52:18 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Digital Literacy is something that interests me too, as there is always the assumption that learners know more than they really do. Also, I would be really interested in how one can build it into your design (as part of a module) instead of running it separately as a credit bearing module or as enrichment or support. I also find that faculty members are not always that literate either and that there seem to be a dissonance between what digital literacy is and what faculty understand it to be.

Something else that interest me is how to authentically assess learners using technology, especially considering their access to and knowledge of technology (we have a very diverse learner demographic), especially with regard to user generated content.

On Thursday, 10 January 2013 21:08:12 UTC+2, Simon Walker wrote

Elizabeth Torres-Russell

Jan 10, 2013, 3:52:23 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am not from Higher Education background, my interest is in the areas of learning design to target health, social health determinants and Indigenous health to develop the end learner capability and impact on behaviours.
ET

Bronwyn Hegarty

Jan 10, 2013, 9:20:45 PM1/10/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon
You may be interested in some action research I did with colleagues in 2010 around digital information literacy (DIL) and developing capability. The design of the research may be of interest as it involved 10 weeks of supported f2f workshops whereby participants explored areas of digital information relevant to their work or study. Their use of a variety of web 2.0 tools and approaches was key to the development of DIL. This design could equally well transfer to an online environment with groups. I agree with what someone further on has said, a Mooc is ideal for developing capability in managing digital information. See the exec summary and full report: Digital Information Literacy: Supported Development of Capability in Tertiary Environments. An article that arose from the research is published in JITE: Developing Digital Information Literacy in Higher Education: Obstacles and Supports.

We devised a definition for the concept, and openness, sharing and collaboration were dispositions associated with high levels of DIL. From our perspective digital literacy is a subset, and to be an active player on the web, and a proficient online learner digital information literacy is more important than mere digital literacy. Often the two terms are used interchangeably and this in my view is a mistake. What do you think?
Dr Bronwyn Hegarty, Otago Polytechnic.

Xin Alice Huang

Jan 11, 2013, 1:20:07 AM1/11/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
My dream project is to produce a training curriculum for the first line sales managers of a Pharmaceutical company in China to manage OTC sales team using mobile-learning and social learning approach. Anyone interested in this topic is more than welcome to join us at team of OTC Sales force effectiveness.
Alice (Xin) Huang

Joshua Underwood

Jan 11, 2013, 3:53:12 AM1/11/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting but I'm hanging on to see what even more interesting proposals emerge ;-) Do you have a cloud on the dreambazaar for this?

Joshua Underwood

Jan 11, 2013, 3:59:50 AM1/11/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Like the look of this project and can really see how it relates to your concerns about transfer. The well-specified challenge makes it attractive too. Might this approach also gather data from the field on what makes effective sales thus building the organisational knowledge and feeding back into the training - e.g. making the front line sales staff sales researchers, or something like that?

Martin King

Jan 11, 2013, 7:39:59 AM1/11/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

I am interested, and somewhat lagging in this area.   I would like to work with you and others who are similarly interests, and hopefully a bit further ahead.

Best
Martin

Chris Follows

Jan 11, 2013, 10:05:05 AM1/11/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Groups i would be interested in are ... creating MOOCS from user generated content and open content communities. Independently driven MOOCS and agile development of MOOCS. And Digital Literacy all aspects but maybe focus on digital identities

Katharine Reedy

Jan 12, 2013, 4:41:40 AM1/12/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Simon, thanks for your reply to my earlier post introducing myself, which I now can't find! I would be interested in joining this group - very interested in fact, as it may help to make progress with my actual work which is to advise on how to get digital and information literacy into the curriculum.
I'll try to get to the Dreambazaar today, in between doing real life stuff ;-)
Katharine

Helen Whitehead

Jan 12, 2013, 7:56:39 AM1/12/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Struck by flu so can't do as much for #oldsmooc-w1 as I'd have liked. Got my Dreambazaar up but not up to looking thru others. :( Plan to do e-assessment resources, particularly looking at assessment of onlien courses including MOOCs that are used for credit and non-credit at the same time.

Susanne Winchester

Jan 12, 2013, 6:38:49 PM1/12/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in creating a course on cultural awareness that ties in with a general language course (German). Participants would take parts in webquests to learn about customs, festivals, traditions etc. to understand the target language country better. A variety of checks for self-assessment and interactive activities would be built in using a range of online tools.

Joshua Underwood

Jan 13, 2013, 10:51:35 AM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 12 January 2013 23:38:49 UTC, Susanne Winchester wrote:
I am interested in creating a course on cultural awareness that ties in with a general language course (German). Participants would take parts in webquests to learn about customs, festivals, traditions etc. to understand the target language country better. A variety of checks for self-assessment and interactive activities would be built in using a range of online tools.

Sounds interesting. Did you do a cloud on the dreambazaar for this idea?

George Hobson

Jan 13, 2013, 12:25:17 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Would like to set up a Study Circle which considers Learning Design in the context of secondary education (Y7-Y13 or Gd 6-12) - anyone interested?? (am not Cloudworking.... too faffy).

Simon Walker

Jan 13, 2013, 1:10:20 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi George, if not Cloudworks, where? Perhaps add a link to you post, or create a cloud and embed you alternative space in it so people can meet you and discuss.
Good luck, I hope there are some secondary educators out there.
Simon

Simon Walker

Jan 13, 2013, 1:13:01 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Catherine, lets set up a study group and see what gives. Suggest we search Cloudworks and see whats already there.
Best
Simon

Simon Walker

Jan 13, 2013, 1:14:29 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katherine, we need to set up a study group - I'll check Cloudworks to see what is there.
Simon

Apostolos Koutropoulos

Jan 13, 2013, 1:20:26 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the dreambazaar is great, but I personally feel that we could run into a "stutter" moment when working on project groups.

For instance, I posted a project on dreambazaar, but since I am not on a specific time table to get it done, I can easily "drop it" and work in another group, but how does one indicate this?  I think maybe we need one big board with all projects, and have people sign up for what they might want to help out in. Then, people can know which projects look like they are not going forward, so they can join teams that are moving forward.
I know that in the 6 weeks of OLDS MOOC, even as a team, I won't be able to complete my dreambazaar project, so I guess one must feel content with doing as much as they can in 6 weeks ;-)

Doug Holton

Jan 13, 2013, 1:59:45 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I haven't read through the upcoming weeks, but I'm guessing you could just plan out what you would like to do - select possible learning strategies and tools and sequences of activities, for example.  You don't have to actually implement it and finish it in 6 weeks.

Cristina Neto

Jan 13, 2013, 2:34:52 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, George

I'm a secondary education teacher. I teach children from 12 years old on. I'm interested in Special Educational Needs for those ages. Do you think we can work together? I'm working on Cloudworks also.
Waiting for your reply

best regards
Cristina Neto - Universidade Aberta (Open University) - Portugal

Roger Handyside

Jan 13, 2013, 2:51:22 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
My interest is also in secondary education, specifically 16-19, using Moodle to design blended learning courses. I will put up a cloud and see who comes!

Paige Cuffe

Jan 13, 2013, 3:13:08 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hmm Apostolos, I think you may have a point here.  I've defined a very narrow project in the hope of making some progress in limited time, however there are a number of other projects I might be prepared to dump my own for if it meant working in a group and dividing up the tasks...
So maybe a board, as you suggested, though I think the timetable may have been drawn to tightly for this first phase, to allow us all to find each other?

Brian Robertson

Jan 13, 2013, 3:23:27 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Am I the only person in Edinburgh taking this course?  I created an Auld Reekie Learners study circle cloud in the OLDS MOOC study circles cloudscape.  If there's anyone within reasonable distance of Edinburgh please respond.

Kristina Hollis

Jan 13, 2013, 3:58:01 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi George,

Yes, I would be interested in that definitely.  I currently work for a project that develivers online professional development for primary and secondary teachers and would love to develop a resource on learning design for integration into this project.  Where will you be working on this?

Kristina

Kristina Hollis

Jan 13, 2013, 3:59:40 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I would love to help you out with this Roger.  I have designed blended learning courses in HE using Moodle and have been using Moodle a lot in current as well.  When I used Moodle with my year 9 students at school, it was the most success I ever had with them.  great idea.

Kristina

Sylvia Moessinger

Jan 13, 2013, 4:03:19 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hallo everybody,

I was just visiting the dreambazaar and I am amazed how many project dreams already exists. This dreambazaar cloudscape is a real treasure chest. Scanning over all the great projects
I am a little lost coming up with my own project, but I am working on it and I will dream about it tonight and design a draft.

I am working in a vocational school teaching healthcare preparing students to work in healthcare and teaching geriatric nurses soon my project is health related. In case somebody has similar interests we might want to team up.

Sylvia

João Pedro Bourbon

Jan 13, 2013, 6:45:08 PM1/13/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Your project looks really nice and relevant, It relates completely to my own belief that current learner, despite (or due to) being overexposed to technology, lack and need guidance in many important skills concerning the digital world. I'd be happy to collaborate in this project.

-[]s, JPB

LesC

Jan 14, 2013, 12:42:25 AM1/14/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon
Yes, I'm interested in joining this study group. I have made other requests to team up with other students who are looking at similar areas to me but haven't as yet joined or created a study group.
My time is tight and I may not be able to contribute much but I'd still like to join you.

Cheers

Sue Watling

Jan 14, 2013, 4:30:48 AM1/14/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Digital literacies are high on my agenda; I've set up a DIY Multimedia (for teaching and learning resources) cloud at http://cloudworks.ac.uk/cloud/view/7042 and there will be crossovers with everyone interested in OLD in relation to Digital literacies. Am likely to be more of a 'lurker' over here than a participant but it might be useful to 'follow' each other's activities.
Regards
Sue Watling (Lincoln UK)

Sue Watling

Jan 14, 2013, 5:03:54 AM1/14/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I've now set up a Cloudscape at  http://cloudworks.ac.uk/cloudscape/view/2743 called

DIY Multimedia for Teaching and Learning (Sue Watling OLDS MOOC)

(Exercise in trying to make the title as useful as possible)  There is also a twitter hashtag #diymultimedia

DIY multimedia is a close relation to digital literacies so if this is your interest please feel free to join in too -  'lurking' can be useful :-)

Next step is to contact everyone who has expressed interest in DIY  multimedia and try to bring you all into the same place - this might not work - so am keeping virtual fingers crossed :-) If you see this and are interested please do let me know; it would be helpful if you could cc my work email swat...@lincoln.ac.uk if this is possible.

Thanks

Sue

Karen Ferreira-Meyers

Jan 14, 2013, 5:06:35 AM1/14/13
to Sue Watling, olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I'm very much interested but will probably be one of the 'lurking' ones (lots of other interests too). Best regards,
Karen

Dr. K. Ferreira-Meyers
Coordinator Linguistics and Modern Languages/Literature
Institute of Distance Education
University of Swaziland
Private Bag 4, Kwaluseni, Swaziland
Tel: +268 76656166
Office number: +268 25170262
Email: karenferr...@gmail.com, ferr...@realnet.co.sz, kme...@uniswa.sz

Fawei

Jan 14, 2013, 6:24:36 AM1/14/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Simon and all,

I have been trying to catch up in the 'messiness' (one of the characteristics of learning design as mentioned ) of this MOOC :-).

Just wonder if you all have found your dreaming team mates. My project is about peer support and collaborative learning: http://cloudworks.ac.uk/cloud/view/7270

All the best

Fawei

Sue Watling

Jan 14, 2013, 6:24:40 AM1/14/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com, Sue Watling
Thanks Karen - I've sent a direct reply to the email which came through - am still not sure of the best way to communicate so would be grateful if you could confirm if you receive this. I've set up an overview cloud within the DIY Multimedia Cloudscape but can't find you on Cloudworks. Do you have a cloud with your name on it - even as a 'lurker' it would be good to include you :-) Sue

George Hobson

Jan 14, 2013, 5:42:21 PM1/14/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
I might be the only one there (!!) but have set up a Google+ Community called: OLDS MOOC - schools study group
It is public but need to ask to join - happily add you.....
Happy to divide into more interest areas and to have more moderators....
Regards,
George.

Carolina Kuhn H

Ida Brandão

Jan 16, 2013, 10:50:23 AM1/16/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com

Domingo, 13 de Janeiro de 2013 17:25:17 UTC, George Hobson escreveu:
Would like to set up a Study Circle which considers Learning Design in the context of secondary education (Y7-Y13 or Gd 6-12) - anyone interested?? (am not Cloudworking.... too faffy).
Dear George,

Regarding the School community in Google+, I've joined it but still need your permission. I've tried to post this message abou Larnaca Declaration:

I’m still reading it but so far I came across to Learning Design pretending to be «pedagogically neutral… a layer of abstraction above traditional pedagogical theories… a general descriptive framework that could describe many different types of teaching and learning».

Continuing to quote: «It is crucial to note at this point that unlike constructivism or instructionism, Learning Design does not put forward a theory about how learners learn, and hence how teachers should teach. There is no ‘should’ in Learning Design as a descriptive framework – merely a description of what activities happened in the classroom or online.»

It’s somewhat difficult to accept this abstract layer, beyond the pedagogical theories, escaping the constructionist framework that inspires me