Motivation: How it fits in Learning Design

Arthur Oglesby

Jan 30, 2013, 8:37:58 AM1/30/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com
Please help develop how Motivation should fit into Learning Design.
Ideas raised here will be added to the Motivation Cloud.

Many of the volunteer organizations I volunteer at struggle with retention and engagement.

Community or social  based Learning Activities could benefit, too, if motivating principles are built in to the Learning Design.

Ida Brandão

Jan 30, 2013, 10:50:53 AM1/30/13
to olds-mo...@googlegroups.com

I suppose we can establish links with the ARCS model of motivational design of John Keller -

«...based on Tolman's and Lewin's expectancy-value theory, which presumes that people are motivated to learn if there is value in the knowledge presented (i.e. it fulfills personal needs) and if there is an optimistic expectation for success.» (in Wikipedia)

I suppose we can also relate motivation to Bandura's self-efficacy  "the belief in one’s capabilities to organize and execute the courses of action required to manage prospective situations." In other words, self-efficacy is a person’s belief in his or her ability to succeed in a particular situation. Bandura described these beliefs as determinants of how people think, behave, and feel (1994).(in About.com Psychology)