Build failure on dev

Chase Tingley

Oct 9, 2017, 6:28:21 PM10/9/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
The build started failing with Yves's commit for build 2040, but the error doesn't have anything to do with his code:  https://okapi.ci.cloudbees.com/job/okapi/2040/console

[okapi] $ /opt/jdk/openjdk7.latest/bin/java -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -cp /scratch/jenkins/maven33-agent.jar:/opt/maven/apache-maven-3.3.3/boot/plexus-classworlds-2.5.2.jar:/opt/maven/apache-maven-3.3.3/conf/logging jenkins.maven3.agent.Maven33Main /opt/maven/apache-maven-3.3.3 /scratch/jenkins/slave.jar /scratch/jenkins/maven33-interceptor.jar /scratch/jenkins/maven3-interceptor-commons.jar 40658
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: hudson/remoting/Launcher : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
etc

Has there been a change to the build configuration?  This is a Java 8 vs Java 7 error.

Jim Hargrave

Oct 9, 2017, 6:33:43 PM10/9/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Chase Tingley

Looks like the okapi jenkins build is still using OpenJdk 7

Jim

Chase Tingley

Oct 9, 2017, 6:37:15 PM10/9/17
to Jim Hargrave, okapi...@googlegroups.com
The build should still be using 7.  What I don't see is a new dependency or plugin that's been added recently that might expect 8.

Jim Hargrave

Oct 9, 2017, 6:41:01 PM10/9/17
to Chase Tingley, okapi...@googlegroups.com

Could any of the upstream dependencies have switched to building with Java 8? Have we recently upgraded any of our dependency versions?

Jim

Chase Tingley

Oct 9, 2017, 6:48:20 PM10/9/17
to Jim Hargrave, okapi...@googlegroups.com
Not in the affected commit range.  Also, this stack looks like Maven itself is failing to start up.  The maven version listed (3.3.3) only requires java 7.

Yves

Oct 10, 2017, 7:55:58 AM10/10/17
to okapi-devel
Yes, this is a bit baffling.
It still fails so it's not one of those "hiccups" we saw a few times before.

that may help, although I'm not sure how yet (it's a long read).

-ys

Jim Hargrave

Oct 10, 2017, 11:51:59 AM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Yves

This seems to get to the point:

This guide is a bit outdated. If you use CJE based on Jenkins LTS 2.60.x or newer, Java 8 is required in the case of Maven Jobs. It is documented on the plugin Wiki page:

https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Maven+Project+Plugin

Jim

Yves Savourel

Oct 10, 2017, 11:59:38 AM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com

CB is currently using Jenkins 2.73.2.1.

So it looks like we need to build with 8 now…

I suppose we still build with v7 in Bitbucket and on our machines, so no v8 feature should creep up unseen.

-ys

Chase Tingley

Oct 10, 2017, 12:07:52 PM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com
An issue with this may be that the nightly snapshots and any release builds we make will be building with 8, which will cause problems on 1.7 JVMs even if we're using source compatibility mode (aka, "the ConcurrentHashMap problem").

Jim Hargrave

Oct 10, 2017, 12:08:07 PM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Yves Savourel
If our maven artifacts are built with Java 8 they may not run on Java 7 based systems - even if there are no Java 8 language features.

Jim

Jim Hargrave

Oct 10, 2017, 12:08:48 PM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Chase Tingley

Is it possible to downgrade Jenkins? I'm looking over the options but its not obvious.

Jim

Jim Hargrave

Oct 10, 2017, 12:34:16 PM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Chase Tingley

Switched to Java 8 for a quick build test and we get this error (memory issue?).

https://okapi.ci.cloudbees.com/job/okapi/2045/

ERROR: Maven JVM terminated unexpectedly with exit code 137

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24989653/jenkins-maven-build-137-error

Jim

Chase Tingley

Oct 10, 2017, 12:47:13 PM10/10/17
to Jim Hargrave, okapi...@googlegroups.com
Not sure this is related, but I also see this in the log:

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0

Chase Tingley

Oct 10, 2017, 2:43:48 PM10/10/17
to Jim Hargrave, okapi...@googlegroups.com
Java 8 removed PermGen space and is managing loaded classes, etc through a different system (Metaspace) that has an unlimited limit.  See here.

Jim Hargrave

Oct 10, 2017, 3:11:56 PM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Chase Tingley

For what its worth I bumped up the memory and tried another build with Java 8 but got the same failure. Looks like even if we do build with Java 8 we still have a problem:

ERROR: Maven JVM terminated unexpectedly with exit code 137

Jim

Chase Tingley

Oct 10, 2017, 3:29:15 PM10/10/17
to Jim Hargrave, okapi...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.  Do we have a support channel with CB?

Yves Savourel

Oct 10, 2017, 3:45:36 PM10/10/17
to okapi...@googlegroups.com, Jim Hargrave

We can open tickets like any other users.

They have been responsive on the few cases we had so far (9 of them the past 6 years).

https://support.cloudbees.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

-ys

Yves

Oct 11, 2017, 9:56:17 PM10/11/17
to okapi-devel
I've open a ticket with CB support.
'm not sure it's possible to downgrade Jenkins.

We'll see what they suggest.
-ys

clement...@lingo24.com

Sep 26, 2018, 6:20:24 AM9/26/18
to okapi-devel
Hi both,

Looks like it's happening again, I've added a JDK 1.9 and tried on `okapi-longhorn-js-client-build-master` and it's now back to normal.

This isn't from a Maven dependency of our projects but from a the Slave runtime dependencies.

What do you reckon we should do? up all builds so they build 1.8 artefacts using the 1.9 JDK? is that what you did last time?

Cheers

Clement

Mihai Nita

Oct 1, 2018, 7:06:07 PM10/1/18
to Group: okapi-devel
Was this failure happening with JDK 7, or JDK 8? (before you updated to 9)

Last time was a mess to make things build and test 7 on a Jenkins running on 8.
It required a "fancy dance" using toolchain.xml
Some history here:

In theory moving to pipelines would eliminate this problem.
But it looks like pipelines don't support mounting a private repo using WebDAV.
But moving to pipelines would break PGP signing for deployment to Maven Central, because the PGP keys are in the private repo :-(

Mihai

Mihai Nita

Oct 1, 2018, 7:09:13 PM10/1/18
to Group: okapi-devel
But it looks like pipelines don't support mounting a private repo using WebDAV.

I dropped the question also at Cloudbees and this was their response: "this feature is not support on Pipeline, and there is no plan to implement its support. You should consider using the Configuration File Provider plugin."

But the Configuration File Provider plugin does not help with the pgp keys.
PGP requires files on disk :-(

Mihai