Invitation to "Hour of Code" Kickoff and STEM Toy Drive in Cincinnati (Dec. 7th, 6pm)

Michael Beck

Nov 24, 2015, 1:36:47 PM11/24/15
to oin...@googlegroups.com
Dear IT friends,

1) Cincinnati Regional Kickoff of "Hour of Code"

We would like to invite you to  the Regional Kickoff of the largest learning event in history: The Hour of Code, during Computer Science Education Week (Dec. 7-13). More than 137 million people worldwide have already tried an Hour of Code.

The Cincinnati Regional Kickoff of "Hour of Code", presented by UC School of Information Technology and Cincinnati Bell, will make a strong statement that Cincinnati is ready to teach our students critical 21st century skills. We want to ensure that our students are on the forefront of creating technology of the future--not just consuming it.

The goal is to to bring together organizations, companies, teachers, as well as children from local schools and their parents, to make them aware of IT opportunities in the global world, and to promote IT Education and IT Jobs in Cincinnati.

When: December 8, 2014, 6-9 PM
Where: Taft Information Technology High School
420 Ezzard Charles Dr. Cincinnati, OH 45214

 Please invite others too, and please RSVP to me at  mam...@gmail.com

We're also looking for additional SPONSORS of this event, if you're interested.

2)   STEM Toy Drive in Cincinnati

At the same event, we would like to have a STEM Toy Drive for kids from the Hays-Porter Elementary School and from Academy of Multilingual Immersion Studies, which have a very high rate of poverty  (Hays-Porter is at around 90%)

The goal of the STEM Toy Drive is to focus our efforts on toys that will help to promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education among the youth within our communities in Cincinnati. We hope these STEM toys will help to spark interest in the next generation of Engineers and Technologists!

Curious for examples of STEM Toys? SHPE-NYC has developed one of the first STEM Toys lists on Amazon:

              Amazon: link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2DPW6WM1F5NXF

We want to show kids that STEM can be  FUN! We are working very hard on this, as you can see here, where we promote Robotics :

DSC07918.jpg

but we need more help, and having the right toys would help a lot!

Could you help with promoting the  "STEM Toy Drive"  within your communities ?

People could drop off the toys on Dec. 7th, at the "Hour of Code" Kick-off, or if there is an organization/company collecting them, we could come and pick them up.

Hopefully we'll see you all on Dec. 7th at the "2015  Hour of Code" Kickoff.

Best regards,

Michael Beck