Capt. John H. Putnam, Co. H 31st OVI - photo and burial info desired

Tim

Jul 13, 2011, 6:05:13 PM7/13/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
Anybody happen to know which cemetery Mr. Putnam is buried in? I'm supposing Chillicothe is the best guess due to his home being there at the time of death. I personally don't care much for the man seeing that he ditched the War effort at the end of '62/early '63 strictly because of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation but nonetheless he was in "our" Regiment and Company.
He died Dec. 22 or 23,1892 at Chillicothe.
A photo, if it exists is very much wanted. I haven't been able to turn one up anywhere, strange because of his active professional life.
Notable Achievements:
   - represented Licking County in the State Legislature for 4 years
   - represented Ross & Highland Counties in the State Senate
   - Publisher of many newspapers
   - Private Secretary under Gov. Allen
   - Consul-General to Honolulu, Sandwich Islands under President Cleveland
   - married Ella Gertrude Ewing, of Chillicothe 14th of October, 1867
   - great-grandson of General Rufus Putnam
   - son of General Rufus Putnam
Thanks.

Richard Lemmers

Jul 13, 2011, 6:26:17 PM7/13/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
Tim:
Find A Grave web site has a photo of his grave marker located in Grandview Cemetery, 300 Brookside Drive, Chillichothe, Ohio.  Gives his rank as Captain in 31st Ohio.  Died 1892.
Richard

Tim Robinson

Jul 13, 2011, 10:20:46 PM7/13/11
to ohio-in-the...@googlegroups.com
Richard,
I could have sworn I checked that at one time so thanks for directing me there again. I only wish they would have put "31st O.V.I" instead of "O.V.V.I." He resigned long before they became veteran volunteers shortly after Chattanooga in '64. Makes it appear he served throughout.
I have a followup question about this in another post.
Thanks again.