Tonight at 6:30pm: How To Build a CDN + Composition Over Inheritance video

Michael Prendergast

Feb 22, 2017, 1:43:14 PM2/22/17
to Ottawa Ruby
Hey everyone,

Just a quick head’s up that tonight is Ruby Wednesday. :)

(If you're planning on coming, please RSVP here, so that the kind folks at Fullscript can estimate how much pizza to provide. Thank you.)

Here’s the agenda so far:

1. Mingling and food sponsored by Fullscript

We’ll chit-chat and mingle for a bit, and then get started.

Big thank you to our sponsor Fullscript, who will be providing the space, food and drinks for the evening.

2. Introductions

We'll go around the room and quickly introduce ourselves, to get to know each other a bit better.

3. Talk: How To Build a CDN and Save a Ton of Money - By Leonard Teo

Leonard Teo, CEO at ArtStation, will be covering how they built their own CDN for ArtStation, saving them a ton of money.

Think you'd be up for giving a talk, too? Let the organizers know by filling in this short form

4. "Talk" 2 - Video: Composition Over Inheritance

The kind folks over at Thoughtbot have given us permission to show one of their private Upcase videos on "Composition Over Inheritance." We'll be watching this tonight, and if there's time, we'll open the floor up for discussion around the video.

(Please note that we can't share this video afterwards, so there won't be access given to view it later. In other words, if you want to see this video, you should come tonight. ;)

Here's the abstract for the video:

Ben [Orenstein] and Joe [Ferris] compare a number of code samples and compare solutions written using both inheritance and composition. Learn how to use composition to place an emphasis on objects and flexible runtime state.

5. Looking for a volunteer for tonight

We may need some help with some logistics tonight. If anyone is up for helping out, please reply to this post, or email me directly. Thank you.

6. Have a topic you'd like to talk about?

Do you have something you'd like to teach or talk about for 7 to 30 minutes? Please do let us know what you'd like to discuss, by either emailing us, or filling in this short form. We're still looking for more Lightning Talks for this month, and also for future months.

7. Plan on attending? (Please RSVP)

It would be helpful to know the numbers for tonight, for the pizza and whatnot. If you could please take a moment to RSVP (or update your RSVP if you can't come), that would be helpful. Thank you.

We hope to see y'all there!

Thanks,
The Ottawa Ruby Team