January 2015 Meetup Summary

Michael Prendergast

Feb 2, 2015, 12:14:47 PM2/2/15
to Ottawa Ruby

Hi all,

Thanks for coming out last week. The links for the meetup are on the blog.

1. What happened?

1.1. Xander Miller gave us a great talk on writing Controller Specs.

The Talk

Xander Miller (Twitter | Blog) gave us an excellent talk on Testing Your Controllers with RSpec. He went through the RESTful controller actions (index, show, new, create, edit, update, destroy), and showed some tricks for handling each.

Links:

  1. Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/AlexanderMiller4/controller-specs
  2. Connect with Xander on Twitter: @pareidoliax
  3. Xander's Blog: http://xandermiller.ca

1.2. Michael Prendergast on What's New in Rails 4.2

No slides for this one, but here are some links:

  1. Rails 4.2 Release Notes
  2. Active Job Basics
  3. Aaron Patterson's post on Adequate Record
  4. Immigrant Gem
  5. Web Console Gem

2. What's up next?

2.1 Web Project Night on Wednesday (not the usual Tuesday)

Please note that the date for this week's Web Project Night is on Wednesday (again, NOT Tuesday), February 4th.

Details here: --> http://www.meetup.com/OttawaRuby/events/209847982/

2.2 Next Month: Graph Databases, by Georgiy Shibaev

Next month, Georgiy Shibaev ([Github](https://github.com/RangerMauve)) will be giving us a talk on using Graph Databases with Ruby. This will either be a Lightning Talk, or possibly a Full-Length Talk… not sure yet.

You can RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/OttawaRuby/events/209365592/

3. Up for giving a talk?

We're looking for speakers for February 24th, as well as for March-July (and onward). If you have something you'd like to talk about, please do let us know here, or hit reply.

4. Thanks all!

Thanks for coming out, we hope you all had a good time. We hope to see you at the next Ruby Tuesday and Web Project Night!

Thanks,

The Ottawa Ruby Team