Talks Announced for Nov 25th: Ruby GC + RoR Booleans in MySQL + Be Weird in Ruby + Lessons Learned

Michael Prendergast

Nov 18, 2015, 6:10:26 PM11/18/15
to Ottawa Ruby
Hi everyone,

The talks for next Wednesday's meetup have been announced. :)

1. [Advanced Talk] It's Dangerous To GC Alone, Take This!

By Craig Lehmann and Robert Young

Every language community implements the same core components. Things like garbage collection, just­in­time compilation and threading. Wouldn't it be great if these were shared between languages?

An improvement to one language would mean an improvement to all. We’re actually doing it: open sourcing the core components of IBM’s Java Virtual Machine into an open language toolkit. Our first proof of concept language is Ruby. This talk will discuss the process and results of integrating a new garbage collector into Ruby.

[You can see the detailed description of the talk here, near the end of the post.]

2. [Beginner Talk] Boolean With Three Possible Values

By Nick Nikolov

When using RoR with MySQL the boolean fields may end up having a third, unexpected value.  This presentation will explain why and how this might happen and what to do if you wish to correct it.

3. [Beginner/Intermediate Talk] How to Be Weird - the Ruby Way and the Preferred Ruby Way

By Zhifu Ge

[Description forthcoming. Check the meetup RSVP page periodically. But, I believe it'll be something along the following lines:

Zhifu will be going over some code samples, showing how they would typically be written in Java/Python, and then showing the idiomatic "Ruby Way," of writing them. He'll also touch on "The Preferred Way" of some of the Ruby samples, showing how the Ruby Style Guide says they should be implemented.]

4. [Beginner/Intermediate Talk] Lessons Learned While Building a Shopify App

By Mike Potter

Mike Potter of Rewind (rewindit.io) will be sharing some of the lessons they learned while building their Shopify App.

5. Looking for Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Talks

We're switching things up a bit. :) Each night, we'd have to have the following set of talks:
  1. One Beginner Talk

  2. One Intermediate Talk

  3. One Advanced Talk

Have a beginner, intermediate or advanced-level topic you'd like to talk about? We're looking for some talks for the following dates:

  1. January 27th

  2. February 24rd

  3. March 30th

  4. April 27th

If you think you'd be up for it, please do let us know by either shooting an email to ottaw...@gmail.com (yes, there's a number "2" in the email), or by filling in this short form

6. Plan on attending? RSVP and let us know.

You can RSVP here.

We hope to see you all there!

Thanks,
The Ottawa Ruby Team

Carlos Figueiredo

Nov 18, 2015, 9:28:15 PM11/18/15
to ogre...@googlegroups.com
Talk #1 has just the best title EVER!!! Congratz!!

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ottawa Ruby" group.